• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC Time Worn jackets 1729 Werber and Rough Wear

Weasel_Loader

Anyone have any good photos of either? ELC has a great photo of one hanging next to a window on their site under the Time Worn section, but I do not know the maker of that model. I'm seriously considering ordering directly from ELC soon but still have not decided on Time Worn or regular. 1729 Werber or 27752 Rough Wear. Kind of wondering if Time Worn is a waste since it seems that it takes about one year of steady wearing to get that "time worn" look.

Also hoping that when I'm ready to order that ELC has my size. Hope to finally have a decent repro A-2 before the holidays. Thanks for any advice.

havocpaul

I haven't seen any photos of those TW jackets but ELC did have a TW Werber displayed on a mannequin at Duxford this year and it was very impressive having the real look of a veteran jacket with much graining and wear points, noticeably different to the ordinary finish on the 'plain' version. As a warning, it is important if ordering the Werber to choose a size up from your usual as it is very slim-fitting, unless that's how you want to wear it.

ties70

Weasel_Loader said:
Anyone have any good photos of either? ELC has a great photo of one hanging next to a window on their site under the Time Worn section, but I do not know the maker of that model. I'm seriously considering ordering directly from ELC soon but still have not decided on Time Worn or regular. 1729 Werber or 27752 Rough Wear. Kind of wondering if Time Worn is a waste since it seems that it takes about one year of steady wearing to get that "time worn" look.

Also hoping that when I'm ready to order that ELC has my size. Hope to finally have a decent repro A-2 before the holidays. Thanks for any advice.

I have an ELC Werber in "Time Worn"...I got to take some pictures anyway as I am thinking about selling it. I'll send them to you if you want.

Regards

Ties

better duck

Well, I have a regular ELC Werber and posted pictures of it recently in another thread. If the hide of my jacket is anything to go by, buying timeworn is a waste indeed. My jacket has aged gracefully very quickly, and really looks the part after less than 6 months of continuous wear.

atkins

Weasel_Loader said:
ELC has a great photo of one hanging next to a window on their site under the Time Worn section, but I do not know the maker of that model. ....

It's a Rough Wear 27752 ( the enormous label- khaki or olive drab stitching, collar stand and not so dark seal brown ). It looks very matte or dull finish, i don't know whether this impression is right. If i may suggest, go for the regular jacket and 'distress' it by applying the popular two hookers method posted by our friend here :lol: . By getting a regular the aging will become very personalized. The finish on ELC 27752 is quite easy to develop a patina ( i tried it on the samples i have from Gary ).
Just my humble opinion.....

Regards,
Atkins

airfrogusmc

ties70 said:
Weasel_Loader said:

I have an ELC Werber in "Time Worn"...I got to take some pictures anyway as I am thinking about selling it. I'll send them to you if you want.

Regards

Ties
Ties post those puppies. How do you like it?

Weasel_Loader

better duck said:
Well, I have a regular ELC Werber and posted pictures of it recently in another thread. If the hide of my jacket is anything to go by, buying timeworn is a waste indeed. My jacket has aged gracefully very quickly, and really looks the part after less than 6 months of continuous wear.

Your jacket is what got me looking at these Werber contracts. Also loved the old Muroc photos I have with the few Werbers pictured. Seeing the wear that your Werber is showing after such a short time, really makes me think twice about "time worn". Although with the shorter winters here, I doubt I'll be able to put as much time into my A-2 as you all do. ;)

Tokyo Jones

Weasel_Loader said:
better duck said:

Your jacket is what got me looking at these Werber contracts. Also loved the old Muroc photos I have with the few Werbers pictured. Seeing the wear that your Werber is showing after such a short time, really makes me think twice about "time worn". Although with the shorter winters here, I doubt I'll be able to put as much time into my A-2 as you all do. ;)

Hey WL - I'm also in the market for a Werber 1729, and as my grandfather lived in Tehachapi and I have memories of long summer vacations just outside of Edwards AFB, I'd sure love to see some scans of those old Muroc photos if it's not too much trouble!

One of my most vivid memories was of an F-15 undergoing trials. Barrel rolling straight into the deck, then a 180 at just a few hundred feet, and a ballistic climb until I lost sight of it. I was pretty young then, but still thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen.

I wonder if Pancho Barnes ever wore an A-2?

zoomer

I'd be surprised if she wasn't given one over the years. She was a beloved figure among pilots.

I agree with Better Duck - Time Worn is for folks who don't want to wear the thing themselves. I own both Eastmans under discussion. My RW 1401 came to me "Owner Worn" - and nicely so - whereas I put the wear on the Werber myself, a good bit of it during about 3 wet stretching sessions. It's still a snuggy 44, especially around the neck and shoulders, where you get no stretch due to all the construction.

(Hint hint...anyone with a 46 Werber to get rid of?)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Tokyo Jones said:
... I'd sure love to see some scans of those old Muroc photos if it's not too much trouble!

They are already here on the forum, Tokyo ... just search Muroc.

Weasel_Loader

Tokyo Jones said:
Hey WL - I'm also in the market for a Werber 1729, and as my grandfather lived in Tehachapi and I have memories of long summer vacations just outside of Edwards AFB, I'd sure love to see some scans of those old Muroc photos if it's not too much trouble!

One of my most vivid memories was of an F-15 undergoing trials. Barrel rolling straight into the deck, then a 180 at just a few hundred feet, and a ballistic climb until I lost sight of it. I was pretty young then, but still thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen.

I wonder if Pancho Barnes ever wore an A-2?

Here are the links.
http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=87

http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=230

BTW, Tehachapi is my dream. We are just waiting for the market to improve and I'm out of my current town.

I have seen photos of Pancho wearing a nice B-15, but I'm sure she had an A-2 at one time.

Tokyo Jones

Thanks for the links, WL.

I have such fond memories of spending weeks on end with my grandparents in Tehachapi during the summer. Unfortunately, my grandfather passed away a few years ago and I suspect that my trip out there for the funeral will be the last time I see those golden hills. But a beautiful place to live and grow up, even if the town itself has grown up quite a bit in the last 30 years!

Good luck with your dream - I'm sure you'll find a great place out there.

ties70

Hi,

I promised to take ome pictures of my Time Worn Werber....

...here they are:

werber_4.jpg

werber_8.jpg

werber_2-1.jpg

werber_1-1.jpg

werber_5.jpg

werber_6.jpg

werber_9.jpg

werber_10.jpg

ties70

Weasel_Loader said:
WOW!!! Really nice jacket Ties. Love the patch too. ;)

Thanks! As you can see, the patch is not sewn to the jacket.

The Werber hangs in the closet all of the time: While the sleeve length of this 46 is perfect, the jacket is trim in the chest. A 48 with shortened sleeves would be better for my body.

Ties

Andrew

Ties, if you don't mind, would you be able to post the dimensions in inches please? Would be interesting to know how it compares to other 46's.

cheers

ties70

Andrew said:
Ties, if you don't mind, would you be able to post the dimensions in inches please? Would be interesting to know how it compares to other 46's.

cheers

Hello Andrew,

the armpit-armpit measures 25.2", both front and back.

The upper chest (across the collar bone) is trimmer with only 18.9 ".

Shoulders (high; across back from epaulette to epaulette): 19.7"

Waist all around: 45.3"

Front length: 24.4"

Sleeves: 22.8" (excl. knits)

Regards

Ties

zoomer

Sounds like just what this fatbody 44Reg would need :D

That NAA patch is great...I should get one in honor of my hero Frank Trumbauer. He went from being one of the top jazz saxophonists of the 20s & 30s to a civil aviation official and NAA test pilot, even training crews on new deliveries of the B-25.

zoomer

BTW, just out of curiosity, I looked up the word Werber in a German dictionary. (I sort of speak German.)
It traditionally means "suitor," as in, one vying for a lady's hand (or perhaps a government contract!)
In modern German it means "advertiser," as in, someone who buys space in a newspaper.