• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC Star A2

Marv

After owning an ELC Star since about 2007 I decided last month to give it the hot water treatment to see if I could improve the grain and break in the jacket as the horsehide didn't seem to be doing this through general wear.

The first two pics I dug out was from when it was new and the others are post treatment and wear....see what you think.

S5000009.jpg

S5000005.jpg

After the hot water bath...

photo.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3jpg.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo7.jpg

photo8.jpg

photo9.jpg

As you can see, there are areas which have developed a nice grain and other areas which are still very smooth......the jacket is very comfortable to wear, even better than before but I don't think I will get anymore grain out of it with more baths so I am just going to wear it in and see what develops.

A

Anonymous

A perfect example of why we do it. Good work that man ! :)

The jacket in the first two photos should only be worn with jeans that have creases ironed into them. The second two with a pair of chinos or LVC. Geeky or cool. The choice is easy :D

Dave

pipvh

That's really fantastic. It's an all-round transformation. Looks like you've worn it for five years. Did it shrink at all?

Marv

thanks for the comments chaps, the jacket may a have shrunk very slightly but nothing noticable......I didn't use the dryer method but just let it dry off naturally which probably helped a lot in stopping any shrinkage.

I worked the hide with my fingers whilst wet and also worked around the snappers on the pockets and collar which help break and burnish these areas a little.

From the results and the type of HH used by ELC around the time of purchase, I don't think any more hot water baths will make any further difference and to be honest I don't really have the time to keep trying.

I was currently wearing my PH A2 but after the performing the above on my Star and seeing the results, it's like having a new jacket all over again and I am currently wearing it to death to such an extent that the wife keeps nagging me to wear something different for a change :D

Curahee

It is an improvement, but if the grain isn't there to begin with it just will not pop out after a HWT. I have an ELC with the same type of HH and you can slam it to death it still won't develop any character

Roughwear

Curahee said:
It is an improvement, but if the grain isn't there to begin with it just will not pop out after a HWT. I have an ELC with the same type of HH and you can slam it to death it still won't develop any character

I agree 100% with this. I recently sold an older, very dark seal Star as it would not develop much grain despite hot water treatment. The smooth areas just stayed smooth!

Marv

I agree with you both on the grain issue, the jacket does look at lot better in the flesh so to speak.....I am happy with the results and with it being one of the older ELC's and the hide used at that time I can just wear it to death now and not worry about scuffs here and there, knocks and scratches.
Don't know if I would feel the same if it was a new Good Wear though.......one day I may find an original A2 in my size, here's hoping :)