• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC revamped Hartmann...nappa

John Lever

Isn't nappa shaved sheepskin ?
If so, then what's the difference between nappa and Cape ?
The leather does look comfortable, but nappa always makes me think of cheaper products.

havocpaul

I thought that too, John, although a search says it's used for expensive car interiors and furniture so must be fairly strong and durable. It certainly looks like it would be very comfortable to wear.

John Lever

havocpaul said:
I thought that too, John, although a search says it's used for expensive car interiors and furniture so must be fairly strong and durable. It certainly looks like it would be very comfortable to wear.

Still makes me think of market stall Perfecto's...
I wonder if with the weaker pound, material costs have rocketed and they are trying to keep prices the same ?

John Lever

I think they are too long and don't look quite the same as the originals. If you look at the distance between the zip pocket and the flap pocket in the period photo, they are vertically closer together than in the repro. The jacket is shorter.
This changes to look of the jacket and IMO spoils it.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:
If so, then what's the difference between nappa and Cape ?

True Cape comes from that hardy breed of Cape sheep that is covered in coarse hair, rather than wool.

Hawkeye

I'm certainly glad I got mine before this new "improvement" and price hike. The cow/steer they used before is great stuff, I don't know why they chose to change something which was already great.

Hawkeye

Interesting that they say the fit is even more trim than it was before. I really dont know how much more they could have pulled things in, its already known as an extremely trim fitting jacket and fits almost like a second skin. Perhaps now its the "Spandex Hartmann".