• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC Monarch A2 owners?

Grant

Hey Sean, Good Wear's patterns are very accurate to each specific contract he reproduces and captures the details exactly.
I think John's willing to make custom size jackets because some clients are far from the average build of a twenty three year old AAC crew but he tries to stay as true as possible to the contract. It's creepy how his jackets fits exactly like original contracts. He even goes as far capturing the subtle differences to the patterns between Rough Wear contracts (1401-P, 18091 & 27752). If he were to make a Monarch I'll bet it wouldn't be from the same pattern as a Star. Enjoy the ELC Monarch.

Roughwear

It is a shame ELC decided to use the same pattern for the Monarch as for the Star as in originals they are very different jackets. It would be interesting if JC were to make a Monarch and I'm sure of he did it would be spot on in every respect. Grant is absolutely right about John getting the details of each contract 100% correct. I like the ELC Monarch but it is not as close to originals a it could be, especially in terms of the pockets and the general fit. Nevertheless its a nice jacket. I still think ELC have some distance to go to compete with JC in terms of absolute authenticity.

delta102uk

Roughwear said:
It would be interesting if JC were to make a Monarch and I'm sure of he did it would be spot on in every respect.

JC's Monarch would perhaps look more like this: :) (your jacket Andrew I believe)....

MONARCH.jpg

MON2.jpg

MON3.jpg

Sean K

blethook

I just couldn't resist showing off some initial pictures

of my ELC Monarch :)

The 2nd pic shows the true colour of the hide the best (Camera's getting old, 10+ years!)
I think the hide is similar in thickness & supple-ness to the one they use on the Werber, but this particular jacket shows much less initial graining than my Werber.
The NOS Talon zipper functions perfectly with no stiffness, whatsoever.

frontlaidflat.jpg

ColourMonarch.jpg

Label-collar.jpg

internalpocketopen.jpg

rotatedsleeve.jpg

shoulderseam.jpg

stencil352ndftrgrp.jpg

zipperfront-backupclose.jpg

collarfastenerback.jpg

TankBuster

delta102uk said:
blethook said:
Well folks,

I got my Monarch today... One size down from my usual size 40.

The fit is great, not tight at all... Makes me wonder if I actually should be wearing size 38 on all of ELC A-2s.

The hide appears to be similar to that used on RW1401, but on this particular jacket the hide appears to be somewhat smooth/sterile, though, i.e., not much graining to start with. With a bit of wear I'm sure grains will start to develop.

One of the things I notice right away is that the sleeves are quite generous/baggy (relatively speaking).

Love the internal pockets. I think they'll come handy for storing valuables during travel.

I guess I'll post pics in a couple of weeks' time once it's broken in a bit.

Thanks to you all who've shared opinions & pictures.

B.

I couldn't be more pleased with my elc Monarch, it's the first "off the peg" A-2 that fits properley...and i've tried most of the high end repro's....but this is the first elc "original maker" jacket i've had so I guess I'll be on the look out for a few more in a size 42..here's a quick pic:
078-2.jpg

Sean K

Nice jacket Sean! That one used to be mine. I put alot of time into breaking that one in. When I got my Goodwear Dubow, I decided to let that one go. The Monarch even has some B-17 air time! Enjoy!

delta102uk

TankBuster said:
delta102uk said:
blethook said:
Well folks,

I got my Monarch today... One size down from my usual size 40.

The fit is great, not tight at all... Makes me wonder if I actually should be wearing size 38 on all of ELC A-2s.

The hide appears to be similar to that used on RW1401, but on this particular jacket the hide appears to be somewhat smooth/sterile, though, i.e., not much graining to start with. With a bit of wear I'm sure grains will start to develop.

One of the things I notice right away is that the sleeves are quite generous/baggy (relatively speaking).

Love the internal pockets. I think they'll come handy for storing valuables during travel.

I guess I'll post pics in a couple of weeks' time once it's broken in a bit.

Thanks to you all who've shared opinions & pictures.

B.

I couldn't be more pleased with my elc Monarch, it's the first "off the peg" A-2 that fits properley...and i've tried most of the high end repro's....but this is the first elc "original maker" jacket i've had so I guess I'll be on the look out for a few more in a size 42..here's a quick pic:

Sean K

Nice jacket Sean! That one used to be mine. I put alot of time into breaking that one in. When I got my Goodwear Dubow, I decided to let that one go. The Monarch even has some B-17 air time! Enjoy!

Thanks Jeff, .....this jackets been about a bit then!!...the Bud Anderson signature in the lining was a bonus, now B-17 air time too!...cool jacket :) ...

Sean K

TankBuster

I had Bud sign it at the Gathering of Mustangs and legends show a few years back. That jacket has been around some great planes and aces. That was one reason it was tough for me to let it go. Glad it's in good hands! ;)

delta102uk

Re: I just couldn't resist showing off some initial pictures

blethook said:
of my ELC Monarch :)

The 2nd pic shows the true colour of the hide the best (Camera's getting old, 10+ years!)
I think the hide is similar in thickness & supple-ness to the one they use on the Werber, but this particular jacket shows much less initial graining than my Werber.

Thought they would have used the new Warhorse hide on this jacket??.......

Sean K

blethook

Re: I just couldn't resist showing off some initial pictures

Sean, I think the hide is warhorse, but not the new hide they now use on their RW 27752. This particular jacket doesn't have a lot of initial grains, but they start to develop just after a couple of days of wear. Will post more pictures some time next month.

B.

delta102uk said:
Thought they would have used the new Warhorse hide on this jacket??.......

Sean K