• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC Monarch A2 owners?

blethook

Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody here owns the ELC Monarch A2 (one w/ internal pockets).
If you do, can you share some pictures, & your thoughts on the jacket (i.e., fit, hide, etc.)

Thank you,
B.

Tim P

my elc monarch does not have the internal pockets and it is a peach to wear, very supple. the inner pockets elc use are a stiff canvas and many I have spoken to regard them as uncomfortable.

nogbat

had one 2 years ago , wasnt happy with the hide. :?: more like a plastic jacket so e bayed it away.. very dissapointed but have seen one since and it was verry good.. depends on what hides elc have when you order...

blethook

Thanks for the reponses so far guys.

I called Eastman today and they said the fit is rather generous - more generous than the Cable. I think I'm going to place an order to find out for myself & go for one size smaller than my normal size.

B.

Tim P

I would agree. I choose a 46 for my shoulders chest and sadly belly but a 44 cable is a fine, not too roomy, fit on me.

LtGustl

Hello,

i own an ELC Monarch with the pockets and i love it.
At the collar there is an original RAF dingy whistle.

I agree, that the cut is roomy.

kindst regards

Here a photo of my jacket

Front.jpg

Roughwear

I used to own ELC Monarchs and enjoyed wearing them. They are roomy, which is quite the reverse of originals which tend to fit one or two sizes smaller than the labelled size compared with most other originals.

delta102uk

blethook said:
Thanks for the reponses so far guys.

I called Eastman today and they said the fit is rather generous - more generous than the Cable. I think I'm going to place an order to find out for myself & go for one size smaller than my normal size.

B.

....just got this Monarch from a fellow forum member...very nice jacket!!...my next purchase will be either an ELC Werber or Star (I think!)...
007-2.jpg

008-3.jpg

010-4.jpg

Sean K

blethook

Gents, again thanks for the responses & pictures.

Is it possible that the original sample of Monarch that ELC uses has larger-than-standard cut as quite typical with original A-2s (i.e., the cut is not consistent due to less stringent QA) as such they thought the generous cut would be the norm?

I just thought the internal pockets would be handy for secure storage of valuables when travelling.

When I called Allan today he mentioned the hide would be war horsehide, but on their website the hide appears to be quite bland/sterile.

In any case, I can give it a try & order one. I can always return it if it doesn't meet my expectations.

blethook

Clark,

Your jacket looks very nice. I can see it's quite wide (relative to the length). How do you find the fit? Did you go one size smaller, or did you stay with your regular size?

I'm planning to go one size down from my usual 40. Hopefully it'll work out.

Thank you for posting the pics.

B.

Clark J said:
My new Monarch with 3 weeks of wear.
001-3.jpg

004-2.jpg

blethook

Well folks,

I got my Monarch today... One size down from my usual size 40.

The fit is great, not tight at all... Makes me wonder if I actually should be wearing size 38 on all of ELC A-2s.

The hide appears to be similar to that used on RW1401, but on this particular jacket the hide appears to be somewhat smooth/sterile, though, i.e., not much graining to start with. With a bit of wear I'm sure grains will start to develop.

One of the things I notice right away is that the sleeves are quite generous/baggy (relatively speaking).

Love the internal pockets. I think they'll come handy for storing valuables during travel.

I guess I'll post pics in a couple of weeks' time once it's broken in a bit.

Thanks to you all who've shared opinions & pictures.

B.

delta102uk

blethook said:
Well folks,

I got my Monarch today... One size down from my usual size 40.

The fit is great, not tight at all... Makes me wonder if I actually should be wearing size 38 on all of ELC A-2s.

The hide appears to be similar to that used on RW1401, but on this particular jacket the hide appears to be somewhat smooth/sterile, though, i.e., not much graining to start with. With a bit of wear I'm sure grains will start to develop.

One of the things I notice right away is that the sleeves are quite generous/baggy (relatively speaking).

Love the internal pockets. I think they'll come handy for storing valuables during travel.

I guess I'll post pics in a couple of weeks' time once it's broken in a bit.

Thanks to you all who've shared opinions & pictures.

B.

I couldn't be more pleased with my elc Monarch, it's the first "off the peg" A-2 that fits properley...and i've tried most of the high end repro's....but this is the first elc "original maker" jacket i've had so I guess I'll be on the look out for a few more in a size 42..here's a quick pic:
078-2.jpg

Sean K

delta102uk

Roughwear said:
Sean, its a great fit. Congraluations. :)

Thanks Andrew...I should have bought the elc Star you had for sale aswell as this jacket...I understand Eastman uses the same pattern for both the Monarch and Star so the fit would be identical....

Cheers!
Sean K

blethook

Perfect fit, indeed.

I can see from your pic the hide has softened a bit. It seems yours doesn't have the internal pockets. They do make the front a bit puffy as I find out, but I think they're going to be handy for storing stuffs.

If you're looking for another elc "original maker" I would suggest the Cable. Mine's goat though they don't seem to have it anymore.

delta102uk said:
I couldn't be more pleased with my elc Monarch, it's the first "off the peg" A-2 that fits properley...and i've tried most of the high end repro's....but this is the first elc "original maker" jacket i've had so I guess I'll be on the look out for a few more in a size 42..here's a quick pic:
078-2.jpg

Sean K

delta102uk

blethook said:
Perfect fit, indeed.

I can see from your pic the hide has softened a bit. It seems yours doesn't have the internal pockets. They do make the front a bit puffy as I find out, but I think they're going to be handy for storing stuffs.

If you're looking for another elc "original maker" I would suggest the Cable. Mine's goat though they don't seem to have it anymore.

.....yeah the leather is niceley broken in and it's a very comfortable jacket to wear...and you're right it doesn't have the internal pockets. Before I got my hands on this jacket I didn't think there was a repro A-2 out there that would provide a good fit....I was ready to concede that the only solution was to go the GoodWear route and get a jacket made to measure....strange isn't it how WWII aircrew were not afforded the luxury of a bespoke A-2 yet they seemed to fit perfectly!!...wonder if JC would ever consider making WWII standard sized jackets?...guess it would make the jackets more authentic than made to measure....

Sean K

blethook

Yes, I think it would be more authentic to make standard sizes only. But I'll bet a lot of people would suffer from that. Eastman does a bit of customising to some extent: longer/shorter sleeves & body. Everything else follows their standard sizing. Having said that I have a feeling their size is one size larger than the original.

I have heard there are variations in measurements within the originals as such I would imagine repro makers would size their jackets based on the original samples they have in hand.