• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC Monarch 23378 A-2 42

Brettafett

Ive been after a russet A-2 for a while and eventually elected to get a Monarch A-2 from ELC.
This is a std 42 with 0.5" added to sleeves and is as it comes (i.e. no Timeworn treatments or anything).
ELC Monarch 42 1.jpg

I just received this, and as you can see, the vintage Havana Warhorse really is showing amazing character of the leather, grain, scars, wrinkles, creases etc, right out the box
This particular batch of russet Warhose was the last of this batch, and I am rather delighted with it.
Its a rich russet brown hue, but not 'red', nor 'orange'. I get a sense that its going to look amazing in time, as it wears in.
ELC Monarch 42 5.jpg

ELC Monarch 42 4.jpg

I had a size 40 before, but found it a bit tight around the shoulders and back, esp when lifting my arms.
This 42 is very comfortable, maybe a touch too comfortable. The shoulders and lengths are perfect, but I do feel theres a bit of room in the torso, more so than any of my other A-2s, incl my Dubows. The more I'm wearing it however, the less of an issue it is.
ELC Monarch 42 3.jpg

Certainly well within the classic WWII fit and profile of a Monarch, so no issues there...
Monarchs WWII.jpg

I can easily wear a sweater under and lifting arms is a breeze. Adding the low collar, I think tis would be a very comfy A-2 for sitting in a car or a plane.
ELC Monarch 42 2.jpg

As a comparison... Below is the regular 42 I tried for fit. And it fit very well, just needed a touch more in the sleeves for me.
My 'new' Monarch above, somehow 'feels' just a touch roomier in the chest and waist than this 'fit' jacket below... Lets see, may just have to wear it in.
This 'fit' jacket was an amazing lighter, caramel-like russet... Perfect for a RW1401 or Werber... But I am very happy with leather of the one above.
Monarch ELC 42 2020 2.jpg

All in all it took around 6 or 7 weeks from receiving the first jacket to try on, to receiving this one with the added sleeve length. As always impeccable service from the gents at ELC.
I will take better pics, and take some measurements down-the-line. Thanks...

Last edited:

Flightengineer

Congratulations on the addition to your stable, my friend!
This is a very pretty jacket in a very nice color. Tons of character right out of the box ... and eventually it will be the redhead killer.
This Monrach will undoubtedly diversify your seals and cheer up on a gray London days with its wonderful color.
I really like how it fits you.

Lorenzo_l

Ive been after a russet A-2 for a while and eventually elected to get a Monarch A-2 from ELC.
This is a std 42 with 0.5" added to sleeves and is as it comes (i.e. no Timeworn treatments or anything).
View attachment 55120
I just received this, and as you can see, the vintage Havana Warhorse really is showing amazing character of the leather, grain, scars, wrinkles, creases etc, right out the box
This particular batch of russet Warhose was the last of this batch, and I am rather delighted with it.
Its a rich russet brown hue, but not 'red', nor 'orange'. I get a sense that its going to look amazing in time, as it wears in.
View attachment 55124
View attachment 55123
I had a size 40 before, but found it a bit tight around the shoulders and back, esp when lifting my arms.
This 42 is very comfortable, maybe a touch too comfortable. The shoulders and lengths are perfect, but I do feel theres a bit of room in the torso, more so than any of my other A-2s, incl my Dubows. The more I'm wearing it however, the less of an issue it is.
View attachment 55122
Certainly well within the classic WWII fit and profile of a Monarch, so no issues there...
View attachment 55129
I can easily wear a sweater under and lifting arms is a breeze. Adding the low collar, I think tis would be a very comfy A-2 for sitting in a car or a plane.
View attachment 55121
As a comparison... Below is the regular 42 I tried for fit. And it fit very well, just needed a touch more in the sleeves for me.
My 'new' Monarch above, somehow 'feels' just a touch roomier in the chest and waist than this 'fit' jacket below... Lets see, may just have to wear it in.
This 'fit' jacket was an amazing lighter, caramel-like russet... Perfect for a RW1401 or Werber... But I am very happy with leather of the one above.
View attachment 55125
All in all it took around 6 or 7 weeks from receiving the first jacket to try on, to receiving this one with the added sleeve length. As always impeccable service from the gents at ELC.
I will take better pics, and take some measurements down-the-line. Thanks...
Sweet Jesus, what a fine-looking jacket, Brett! The fit is spot-on. The warhorse does not look too different from that of my Werber 1729. Wear it in good health!

Brettafett

Thank you all haha
I think I am close to a total A-2 compliment.

Monarchs are very interesting A-2s, and are rather unique in so many way.
I love the elongated collar lobes, with slightly rounded ends, unlike any other contract. The low collar makes for comfortable wearing.
At the correct size, its a very easy and practical pattern. Those with broad shoulders and a trim waist, may find some room in the torso/ waist area, but thats subjective. For those who have gained some girth, this contract would be fine.
Set-in sleeves are an interesting design choice, but despite what has been said/ written, in wearing these jackets, i don't feel they make any noticeable difference.
Both GW's and ELC's versions are fantastic.

Will continue to add some pics, comparisons and close-ups as we go.

Silver Surfer

super nice catch. elc does a Cracker Jack job with the monarch a-2. and like you Brett, I like the unique design characteristics of the monarch contract. I have a lighter colored one that is a near dead on clone of my original. agreed, size wise.. with the monarch its best to go up a size for real time wear.

Last edited:

Nickb123

Thank you all haha
I think I am close to a total A-2 compliment.

Monarchs are very interesting A-2s, and are rather unique in so many way.
I love the elongated collar lobes, with slightly rounded ends, unlike any other contract. The low collar makes for comfortable wearing.
At the correct size, its a very easy and practical pattern. Those with broad shoulders and a trim waist, may find some room in the torso/ waist area, but thats subjective. For those who have gained some girth, this contract would be fine.
Set-in sleeves are an interesting design choice, but despite what has been said/ written, in wearing these jackets, i don't feel they make any noticeable difference.
Both GW's and ELC's versions are fantastic.

Will continue to add some pics, comparisons and close-ups as we go.

Monarch feels to me the most comfortable contract for my body type and preferences. Well done. If the Eastman wait time isn’t too bad that may be the next tree I bark up.

Brettafett

super nice catch. elc does a Cracker Jack job with the monarch a-2. and like you Brett, I like the unique design characteristics of the monarch contract. I have a lighter colored one that is a near dead on clone of my original. agreed, size wise.. with the monarch its best to go up a size for real time wear.
Oooh , I'd love to see a fit pic or comparison pic. Feel free to post something if you get a chance.

bn1966

I traded in my 46 ELC RW for a 48 Monarch, Roughwear looked good undone in photos but was far too snug in the chest and shoulders for me in a 46. Done up the RW was uncomfortable & gave no light layering option. The Monarch in 48 fits my chest and shoulders nicely and I can layer with a light sweater too. My waist measurement is a lot less than my chest but I’m happy with the compromise...