• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC goatskin Cable, one year on.

Peter Graham

It's been just over a year since I first posted pics of my ELC Cable A-2. I had just bought it from ebay and it had practically no wear. I thought some of you might be interested to see it a year later. Not being used to repros it looked too neat to me so I was all for hot water treatment and anything else to hurry wear on but after some comments on the original thread I decided to relax and wear it in naturally. This is it after a years wear minus three very cold winter months. I decided to treat it as an issued jacket would be treated. Unfortunately I couldn't fly a P-51 in it but I've had a drunken bicycle accident, laid under my car, built a wall and it's had gasoline, brake fluid and diesel splashed over it. It's been trampled on at gigs, been soaked many times, used as a pillow and generally been used as it should be used. I stopped short of the favorite vets use. I didn't paint my house in it. I love this jacket a little more every day. The goat is very tough but has softened up incredibly and developed great grain. It would make a super motorcycle jacket. The hide would stand up well to road rash. Hopefully the pics will show the character that is developing. It still has a long way to go. More in a years time !
A-2006.jpg

A-2001-3.jpg

A-2002-3.jpg

A-2004-3.jpg

A-2005-2.jpg

A-2008-1.jpg

Grant

Peter, the Cable is looking great. Far better looking than the usual hot water treatment and washing bullshit. Nothing like honest abuse. Here's to many more years of it!

dadgad

Grant said:
Peter, the Cable is looking great. Far better looking than the usual hot water treatment and washing bullshit. Nothing like honest abuse. Here's to many more years of it!

what he said...

fantastic indeed, I shall get a goatskin A2 sooner or later.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Wow ... that goatskin is looking great, most convincing, the perfect example of why you don't need to fork out the extra for time worn.

Drunken bicycle accident you say .... I'll make a note. :cool:

Jason

That's taking on the look of a real been-there-done-that-in-WW2 goatskin A2. It doesn't just look convincing, to my eyes it looks like its wearing exactly like a good example of a 70 year old jacket. All the positive attributes, without the detrimental affects that time imparts.
Congratulations Peter, what a superb year you & the Cable have had together, look forward to seeing next years photos. Did that sound a little bit too mushy? Well, it is a somewhat personal relationship between jacket & wearer.

airfrogusmc

Peter Graham said:
It's been just over a year since I first posted pics of my ELC Cable A-2. I had just bought it from ebay and it had practically no wear. I thought some of you might be interested to see it a year later. Not being used to repros it looked too neat to me so I was all for hot water treatment and anything else to hurry wear on but after some comments on the original thread I decided to relax and wear it in naturally. This is it after a years wear minus three very cold winter months. I decided to treat it as an issued jacket would be treated. Unfortunately I couldn't fly a P-51 in it but I've had a drunken bicycle accident, laid under my car, built a wall and it's had gasoline, brake fluid and diesel splashed over it. It's been trampled on at gigs, been soaked many times, used as a pillow and generally been used as it should be used. I stopped short of the favorite vets use. I didn't paint my house in it. I love this jacket a little more every day. The goat is very tough but has softened up incredibly and developed great grain. It would make a super motorcycle jacket. The hide would stand up well to road rash. Hopefully the pics will show the character that is developing. It still has a long way to go. More in a years time !
A-2006.jpg

A-2001-3.jpg

A-2002-3.jpg

A-2004-3.jpg

A-2005-2.jpg

A-2008-1.jpg

Looks great nice goat looking goatskin too.

better duck

An advert for natural wear and tear (the jacket I mean). It sure looks good! great patina on the leather!!

Hawkeye

Thats fantastic Peter, I haven't been wearing mine as much as I should (I've been tending to reach for the Hartmann this fall whenever I run out the door) but I hope mine will start to wear in like yours given enough time.

MikeyB-17

Way to go Peter, looking fantastic, love the darker burnished areas. Imagine how it'll look in ten years time!

Falcon_52

Peter:

It sounds like you've treated the jacket just as a WWII serviceman would have (drunken bicycle accident, gasoline, crawling around in it :D). It looks great!

Noel

dujardin

splendid jacket Peter,
she fit perfectly on you
i like the grain and patina.
sometime, :oops: i regret my choice regarding the leather for my A2, next one will be a goat. :oops:

byeeeeee marcel

Cliff

Now that is REALLY nice Peter. I have always prefered Horse but that is a really mean bit of goat !!! Think I may start looking for a goat A2.

PS I still have my first A2 which is a Cooper in Goat but that doesn't really count ! :oops:

CBI

The longer I collect jackets, the more impressed I am with the qualities and durability of goatskin. My preference is horse but I have 2 original goatskin A-2's (Doni and Spiewak) and the hides are in amazing shape for 70 year old jackets. I just can't believe how well goat holds up. A recent original AN6552 I owned had a goat hide that was in such new/mint shape that I really had a hard time thinking the jacket was the real thing - which it was.

Peter Graham

Thanks for all the kind comments guys. I'm glad you like it. It's been fun breaking it in and seeing the character develop over the months. Very satisfying. The jacket fits like a second skin now and is so very comfortable. As I've said, I treated the jacket as an issued jacket would be and what I found to help develop folds and wear naturally was to use the hanging strip whenever I hung the jacket up, even overnight. I know it doesn't look strong enough but it is. That's what it was designed for. I was a bit dubious at first but now I just hook it up and forget about it. I'll post pics this time next year when it will have developed some serious wear. I can't wait !