• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC CABLE RAINCOAT A2

Roughwear

I have owned two of these jackets in the past, a size 40 made from horse and a size 40 made from goat, but with a purple tone in the finish, which is not authentic. However the new batch of goatskin which Gary is using for his latest Cables is the correct colour, thickness and texture-remarkably similar to the goat on my original Doniger. So I took the plunge at Duxford yesterday! This one is a size 42 and is a very comfortable fit. I have replaced the repro Talon zip slider with an original one. Original Cable A2s had variations even within the same contract, such as some had ring snaps and others had ball snaps and different zips were used including the rearely seen Kwik ziiper. This one has ball snaps. The label is pretty close to originals, but as the 42-10008 contract was predominantly goatskin I'm not quite sure why ELC didn't copy this label rather than the W535ac23382 contract, which was usually made using horse hide. However, I am very pleased with this jacket which I shall enjoy breaking in this summer.

040-3.jpg

041-2.jpg

024-13.jpg

036-3.jpg

037-2.jpg

035-4.jpg

034-5.jpg

033-7.jpg

032-4.jpg

031-7.jpg

029-3.jpg

028-6.jpg

027-12.jpg

026-13.jpg

025-10.jpg

A

Anonymous

Andrew great jacket god I love that skin and it will be killer when broken in .Where the prices full retail at the show ,just wondering .How did Gary do re sales ?.I love my Eastman I bought 2 years ago and its looking great these days (Roughwear).

Rgds Jeff

TankBuster

Very nice looking jacket. I always have thought their Cable and
Monarch were their best jackets. The new hide looks very good.

Roughwear

DUBOWA2 said:
Andrew great jacket god I love that skin and it will be killer when broken in .Where the prices full retail at the show ,just wondering .How did Gary do re sales ?.I love my Eastman I bought 2 years ago and its looking great these days (Roughwear).

Rgds Jeff

Gary offered me a discount because there was no postage, so it was around £30 less than the asking price.

shiloh

Whow, Great jacket and great fit. I used to own an ELC Cable Raincoat and it was a very great jacket but this one looks far better. The leather and the colour are great. Shame I had to work last weekend.

Regards,

Shiloh

Andrew

Very nice Andrew, i've never owned a goat jacket before- how long does it take for goat to break in? It'll look great once the collar and the sleeves settles down. Do you have a preference between this goat and John's?

Bet your wife was impressed when you came home with that- moved on some old jackets and replace with a new one!

A

Anonymous

Andrew you always look like your in front of a firing squad ,do you ever smile .Just an observation not trying to be mean.

Rgds Jeff

A

Anonymous

Leadsky said:
Very nice Andrew, i've never owned a goat jacket before- how long does it take for goat to break in? It'll look great once the collar and the sleeves settles down. Do you have a preference between this goat and John's?

Bet your wife was impressed when you came home with that- moved on some old jackets and replace with a new one!

Andrew I would guess this goat is similar in texture to the lighter G1 types and whilst it will look better when settled down it will be good from the get go ,JC goats has a lot of similarites to horse hide lack of drape when new and needs breaking in ,at least the one I had .JC leather is constantly changing though and I dont mean my comment as a sweeping statement .

Jeff

blethook

Andrew, not to steal your thread...

but I thought I'd show what my ELC Cable looks like after 1-month of moderate wear...

It got wet once, and I believe it has shrunk a bit (feels tighter now).

The graining is awesome. I have to say the best goatskin hide I've seen...

ShoulderCollar_Flat.jpg

Pocket.jpg

A2Cable_Front_Flat.jpg

Stony

Nice jacket! I have the Eastman Cable in horse and the hide has more of a russet tint to it.

A

Anonymous

Blethook, your jacket looks stunning ! I've long admired the look of JC's Doniger and this seems to have a hide to equal that (anyone who has handled both please feel free to correct me on that).

I may have to end my embargo on buying new jackets that has held for 15 months :eek:

Does anyone know if the ELC 'Time Worn' effect is done on both goat and horse or just horse ? I was curious about that as goat tends to be a tougher hide and less easy to scuff or mark than horse and already has heaps of grain anyway so doesn't need (IMVHO) distressing. I wonder if you'd even see a difference in the before and after pics.......... Although personally, if I go for that jacket, I'll take the cheaper virgin version and do the work by wearing it whilst on my bike.

Oh well, expect to see my unworn ELC B-10 and my ELC house goat with the re-dye look go on the sales page this week :roll: Here we go again !

J_H

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
JACKET_ HEAD said:
Does anyone know if the ELC 'Time Worn' effect is done on both goat and horse or just horse ? I was curious about that as goat tends to be a tougher hide and less easy to scuff or mark than horse and already has heaps of grain anyway so doesn't need (IMVHO) and distressing. I wonder if you'd even see a difference in the before and after pics.......... Although personally, if I go for that jacket, I'll take the cheaper virign version and do the work by wearing it whilst on my bike.

You would think just horse, wouldn't you Dave?

... but no, an extra 45 quid will save you the bother of beating up your own goat. Actually, for that sort of money, you would expect them to wear the bloody thing for you.

You could walk along in front, carrying the flag. :shock:

A

Anonymous

It does seem a cheek David, does it not ? I suppose that we collectors are to blame as one of the looks that seems to be so desired is the look of a 60 year old jacket and the quicker one can get that the greater the street cred'. Non collector types seem to want their expensive jackets to look as expensive and new for as long as possible.

I am curious though: do the Good Wear jackets come looking stiff like an ELC or has JC (or his tanners) worked the hide to give it that grainy effect? As I presume all his jackets displayed on the website look like they been worn - at least a bit - it's difficult to ascertain whether or not John is doing his own bit of time wearing :)

Well, the ELC Cable at least look good and it's gonna be a lot less cost-wise than a GW Doniger and with a lot less waiting time. And I can always send it back easily if it doesn't measure up in the flesh.

Dr H

JACKET_ HEAD said:
I am curious though: do the Good Wear jackets come looking stiff like an ELC or has JC (or his tanners) worked the hide to give it that grainy effect? As I presume all his jackets displayed on the website look like they been worn - at least a bit - it's difficult to ascertain whether or not John is doing his own bit of time wearing :) quote]

If I could get the hang of posting images I'd put something up on my GW Doniger to show you 8 months' daily wear (I'll try and persevere with it). In the meantime, given the time of photography and the despatch of my jacket this was mine pretty much straight off the sewing machine without the time for any pre-wear by JC if he was so disposed (http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/D ... _view1.jpg). Needless to say, during the interim the collar has worn in very nicely (especially near the neck and at the snaps, where the grain is more compressed, and the collar tips have turned up more naturally), the pockets are looser now and the pocket flaps are curling slightly. All the edges are burnishing well, especially at the waistband, along the sleeve seam and under the arms.

What you don't see in the web images is the strength/definition of the grain from day 1 (which was very marked, especially in the area between/around the pockets and the vertical seam, the shoulder forward of the epaulettes and the upper/rear arm of the sleeves). What has happened since delivery is really the slight loosening of the skin to accomodate e.g. slightly wrinkling to the lower sleeve.

The jacket has been in several rain showers including one downpour so thankfully its losing a little of its shine and taking on a slightly lighter shade of russet in places. Unlike one of the posts that I read earlier, any odour that the jacket had (and it wasn't unpleasant) was almost entirely lost within a week of wear.

On the downside, I'm just beginning to see some tiny patches of wear to the cotton liner (at the top seam near the collar) where the cotton is becoming paler that herald the later tears and holes that I see on older jackets in this area.

Cheers

Ian

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that Ian.

I suppose we are making the assumption that the original hides looked as grainy as John's when they arrived on the cutting table ?

Dave

Chandler

Dr H said:
If I could get the hang of posting images I'd put something up

If I can figure out, I'm sure you can too -- you got that avatar in place, after all, it's a similar process.

Chandler

Cliff

... but no, an extra 45 quid will save you the bother of beating up your own goat. Actually, for that sort of money, you would expect them to wear the bloody thing for you.

actually I would wear it for you for a lot less than £45 !!!! :D

By the way .... I was actually there when Roughwear went in to the ELC tent to buy that Cable Goatskin ...... The speed of the man was awsome !! I have not seen such bravery from a family man in many many years .....Respect ! :lol: :lol:

regards

Cliff