• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC B-3 Broken finish ?

John Lever

Confirms what others have suspected, order a size up. My 44 is quite a snug fit and since I'm off the weights at the moment I have lost some weight.

rich

Andrew, John, would you say this has a typical body length compared to the B3's you both own? I ask because it seems
very long to me, the waist measurement seems crazy. It's a beautiful looking jacket though.

John Lever

rich said:
Andrew, John, would you say this has a typical body length compared to the B3's you both own? I ask because it seems
very long to me, the waist measurement seems crazy. It's a beautiful looking jacket though.
Mine is quite short. The fit looks very like that seen in contemporary photos. It would depend where the measurement was taken. If you need any dims. from my size 44, just ask.
I'm 5 ' 10 ''and 175 pounds, so if you are heavier or taller, go for a 46.

Roughwear

I wear a size 42 in an original and the back length of my three original vary from 27-29" from the base of the collar. They are smaller round the waist and have a pit to pit of 24 max.

rich

Thanks John, thanks Andrew! (no more jackets this year though....... only 45 days to go then :D )

(Aero's B3 in a 42" is 27 1/2" from base of collar to bottom of jacket, measured down the back)

Clark J

That puzzles me?I just received my new ELC D-1 in a Large(I wear 46 in all their repo jackets)and my new D-1 is bigger than my older ELC Redskin D-1?I wonder why B-3s are running smaller?Mark(Aero USA)in his add says to take an inch off the external measurements to get a true inside number,that would still put the pit -pit at 25 in +???That would fit me.I just did a pit-pit(outside)on my new D-1 and it's 26 1/4.

John Lever

I had always understood the formula to be double the pit, minus 4 to give the chest size.
e.g. [24 x2] - 4 = 44

donsom

Johns' completely right about the recent ELC's ...

If you're anywhere near or above 6 feet tall .... GET THE 46"!!... or be prepared for a snug fit.

The sleeve length is fine ... the midriff is fine ... but pit to pit (back of shoulders) is where you'll feel it.

Mine is slowly (agonizingly slowly) giving up some of the "tightness" as the leather breaks in.

My greatest fear is if the jacket gets soaked ... and the leather may or may not shrink (any thoughts on that folks?)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
donsom said:
Johns' completely right about the recent ELC's ...

If you're anywhere near or above 6 feet tall .... GET THE 46"!!... or be prepared for a snug fit.

This ELC sizing sure sounds tricky .... I'm 6' 0", the same weight as John, and I wear a size 40 Buzz B-3.

I can't imagine wearing any jacket in a size 46 .... there'd be room for visitors.

donsom

deeb7 said:
I can't imagine wearing any jacket in a size 46 .... there'd be room for visitors.

ELC would be a "single room apartment" in the 44R size I'm afraid ... :) No room for visitors ... at least for me.

handworn

So would you wear a 42 in A-2s, but a 44 in an Eastman B-3? This is valuable information, since I'm almost your exact height and weight and have been eyeing an ELC B-3, with the pound sterling as low as it is. Thanks!

John Lever said:
Mine is quite short. The fit looks very like that seen in contemporary photos. It would depend where the measurement was taken. If you need any dims. from my size 44, just ask.
I'm 5 ' 10 ''and 175 pounds, so if you are heavier or taller, go for a 46.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
handworn said:
So would you wear a 42 in A-2s, but a 44 in an Eastman B-3? This is valuable information, since I'm almost your exact height and weight and have been eyeing an ELC B-3, with the pound sterling as low as it is. Thanks!]

John doesn't wear A-2's. :)

But if you want it to look like a flight jacket, and you aren't planning on a heavy sweater, you may want to stick with your A-2 size ... and check with ELC first.

donsom

handworn said:
So would you wear a 42 in A-2s, but a 44 in an Eastman B-3? This is valuable information, since I'm almost your exact height and weight and have been eyeing an ELC B-3, with the pound sterling as low as it is. Thanks!
I was around -4 Celcius where I live in Ontario today. I was out walking in my B-3 ... only needed a T-shirt underneath ... and still extremely warm. Depending on what temperatures you experience where you are ... you may never need more than that.

escorpion_72

I think that the reason this person is not sending this B3 back to ELC is because it is customized.
The armlength is to short compared with 46R.
Gary at ELC told me that the armlength on size 42 R is 25" and 24,5" on size 40. This would mean that the 46 R should have an armlength of 26" if I'm not mistaken.

So that is my bet.

What do you guys think?

I'm going to order the 42...I think.....that is one size up and I think that will be just fine....I hope ;)

Clark J

Just checked my new sz large D-1 and the sleeve length is 25,so this B-3 does have short arms!

handworn

Thanks! I wasn't planning on wearing a heavy sweater under it, no. It's true it may not get cold enough to wear it often. Still. Common sense isn't first in line when it comes to buying repros of WWII jackets. :)

deeb7 said:
handworn said:
So would you wear a 42 in A-2s, but a 44 in an Eastman B-3? This is valuable information, since I'm almost your exact height and weight and have been eyeing an ELC B-3, with the pound sterling as low as it is. Thanks!]

John doesn't wear A-2's. :)

But if you want it to look like a flight jacket, and you aren't planning on a heavy sweater, you may want to stick with your A-2 size ... and check with ELC first.