• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Economic" vs "DE LUXE" ...

Thomas Koehle

guys this post is not about flight-jackets but i think it fits into anyway ...

talking about "economic" vs "expensive" is not limited to camo-uniforms but we come across such issues each and every day in all situations of our life

one of my pals runs a shop over here in Germany offering all kind of high-qual (or high-price) garment that represents sustainability, craftmanship and heritage

when i visited him last time some cammies in a tiger-stripe pattern but differently colored catched my eye and i decided to get them

when i arrived home and proudly showed it to me wife her comment was: another camo-jacket (yeah some women burts a bubble in seconds - but i think thats common experience of some other forum-members as well)

anyway i want to share some pics of my latest "chore jacket" made by the an italian company "Quartermaster" compared to some BDUs i got from our fellow @B-Man2 Burt

Some details first:
MATERIAL: BDU - ripstop / Tigerstripe - HBT
SIZE: BDU - L / Tigerstripe - XL
PRIZE: BDU 25.- / Tigerstripe 260.- (no joke)

4dQFKZv.jpg

1XCQalD.jpg

nTQya1T.jpg

My evaluation:
- the fit of the BDU suits me better than the Tigerstripe
- material of the Tigerstripe is preffered over the rip-stop of the BDU
- i like the tigerstripe-pattern over the standard desert-pattern of the BDU
- other than that no other remarkable differences but the price of being 10times higher

My Conclusion: "You get what you pay for!" does not always mean you get crappy stuff

Pilot

Well written Thomas, but IMHO, you compare two different things..
1) Burt‘s BDU which is a mass-produced but very rugged and functional item… and very nice and a high quality garment
… with a designer item
2) a pure designer and fictional „tiger strip“ fashion item, hence the 260,—

IMHO, a comparison with a low cost made in „ emerging countries „ fashion TS shirt would me a more fair comparison….
… and/or a comparison with a legit VN war issued TS fatigue shirt ( comparing with the TS 260 ,— shirt ) would also give another perspective…
Anyway, thanks for sharing…
„ Grüssgottle „ from Split.
IMG_1232.jpeg

Thomas Koehle

1) Burt‘s BDU which is a mass-produced but very rugged and functional item… and very nice and a high quality garment
… with a designer item

IMHO, a comparison with a low cost made in „ emerging countries „ fashion TS shirt would me a more fair comparison….
… and/or a comparison with a legit VN war issued TS fatigue shirt ( comparing with the TS 260 ,— shirt ) would also give another perspective…
„ Grüssgottle „ from Split.View attachment 153017

You got a point here Brice as usual!

It’s maybe a bit off to compare a mass-produced item manufactured for heavy use in combat with a more or less “fashion piece” which is “nice to have” …

Thanks for your input - that jacket you posted is WOW!!!

Pilot

You got a point here Brice as usual!

It’s maybe a bit off to compare a mass-produced item manufactured for heavy use in combat with a more or less “fashion piece” which is “nice to have” …

Thanks for your input - that jacket you posted is WOW!!!
Thanks Thomas
The Ebay jacket is not mine… just for reference…
Cheers

Shanghai-Mayne

… with a designer item

„ Grüssgottle „ from Split.View attachment 153017
Brice, it looks like the last generation of tiger stripe camo, introduced in just Before RVN been knocked out from history.

Erwin

An Unique pattern wouldn’t mistaken with other patterns
Any example of this print would be good to see.... I'm aware about various TS print variants, some really rare one, just would like to see an example from you about this late war print, thanks.

Last edited:

Erwin

It is even not close regarding used dyes on this interesting jacket "deluxe". Looks like I'd not ask you for any other references as this doesn't make any sense ;)

Erwin

Asked about valid example with print and dyes color like on this "deluxe" jacket. I know this book and TS print variants, you me ruined that it looks like late war variant. Just wanted to see an example which matches this "deluxe" print.