• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay quandry

asiamiles

The guy asked me if I had any other Converse, and I had one pair that I bought that were too small for me, so I sent him the pics and he said he'd buy those as well. And he just paid for both those and the Flight Jacket boots. How strange! Worked out very well for me in the end though!

Notice he now has a f/b score of 2, though the one positive reads: "So far no payment no respond to emails. Will update if item is paid."

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Isn't that typical eBay, Miles?

.... and the apparently straightforward deal goes bad. :?

Lignemaginot

asiamiles said:
I can see no reason not to sell them the shoes direct, as there's absolutely no risk involved on my part.

There is very much a risk on your part if the guy is still paying with paypal - while he can't leave negative feedback on ebay, he can still do a charge back.

asiamiles

Lignemaginot said:
There is very much a risk on your part if the guy is still paying with paypal - while he can't leave negative feedback on ebay, he can still do a charge back.

For a buyer to make a chargeback am I right in saying he must have paid using his credit card through Paypal? Because the claim is made with his CC company. I'm not sure if/how you can tell if he paid using his CC or from his Paypal balance?

Lignemaginot

asiamiles said:
Lignemaginot said:

For a buyer to make a chargeback am I right in saying he must have paid using his credit card through Paypal? Because the claim is made with his CC company. I'm not sure if/how you can tell if he paid using his CC or from his Paypal balance?

I don't know the answer to that - it would depend on Paypal's rules. If he used his cc, then yes, he can chargeback - paypal will get hit with the chargeback from the bank, and then they take it from you. If I were paypal, I wouldn't have different rules for cc and bank accounts - if a buyer charges back, they charge back.

asiamiles

Lignemaginot said:
If I were paypal, I wouldn't have different rules for cc and bank accounts - if a buyer charges back, they charge back.
But if a payer doesn't use his CC it's actually impossible to make a chargeback because there's no CC company with which to make the claim. A buyer can claim back through Paypal for non-arrival of goods, but they say not for a "service"; so I always choose the "service" rather than the "goods" option on my Paypal invoices in the hope that this might add an extra layer of protection. But you always have the feeling in the back of your mind, if some pro is prowling for a scam it's likely they know what they're doing and are going to screw you somehow.

What's the jacket in your new avatar, David?