• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay message

Stony

I recieved this from an ebay member today. I have no idea who they are or if they are a member of VLJ, so if you are, I'm not trying to call you out or make a fool of you.

How would you respond to this?

Hello, Would you be able to wait up to 14 days for payment after the listing ends if I need the extra time. Hopefully my feedback will put your mind at ease. Thank you **

The two ** were their initials, so I deleted them in case they were a member here.

dmar836

I would respond with "no". This person, member or not, should not be bidding if he hasn't the resources to pay. PP takes credit cards as well as bank accounts so there really is no excuse for putting a deferred payment onto you.
You forfeit protection from Ebay each step away from their rules you go.

JMO,
Dave

ButteMT61

Dunno guys. I've been in a spot where I was traveling, or waiting for the next check to come in and have asked the seller if they have a few days of leeway. Not two weeks, but same concept. Look at the big picture. How long have they been a member? What's their feedback like as a BUYER (in this case). How many transitions? Where do they live? Sorry - NO overseas business for me as a seller and rarely as a buyer - too risky.
I'd not discount it on the face of the request - my 2¢ as I've been doing it for 13+ years.

Scott

a2jacketpatches

Gotta respect the fact that he asked. My Ebay has a long record of repeat customers that I've worked with like this, so if not a problem for you, I'd do it, I have in the past, but also refused because it was a problem with cash flow for me. Simply explain if you can't, or give him the go, sounds like he'd respect either answer. He refers to his feedback, so he feels confident about his honesty and should respect yours. If he didn't give a care, he could wait up to 10 days to pay anyway, and if he didn't by then, Ebay would give him another 10. Doesn't sound like that kind of guy by him being right up front with you.

I help a few guys out that way just in the past couple of months as well, new customers. My feedback shows 1700 plus, all positive. But it's definitely more than double that from members who keep coming back.

Another thing, always check feedback left for others, you may find a dark side to members that you want to avoid. It's a good way to spot a two face

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
ButteMT61 said:
Sorry - NO overseas business for me as a seller and rarely as a buyer - too risky.

Yes, watch out for us pesky foreigners, or aliens as the Immigration like to call us.

a2jacketpatches

Stony said:
Yes, watch out for us pesky foreigners, or aliens as the Immigration like to call us.

Don't worry deeb7, I sell overseas. ;)

Sent two patches to the UK today, another one yesterday, one to France, and one to Germany. I had two patches that got lost recently, one to England and one to France, but i can tell there's no foul play just because of their feedback and the holidays. If ever sending big money overseas, just let it be in the listing that it must be a method that can be tracked and paid for by the buyer. For me, not a big deal to lose one or two a year and not worth limiting the overseas sales with the high cost of express mail. But and expensive jacket? Reliable shipping should be considered part of the total cost to the buyer or he shouldn't buy from the U.S. Selling to you pesky aliens has doubled my business, Thanks!

TankBuster

I have done let bidders do this before without problems, but it is normally can I pay you in 3 or 4 or maybe 5 days, not 14. I think I would have to decline that offer.

ButteMT61

deeb7 said:
ButteMT61 said:
Sorry - NO overseas business for me as a seller and rarely as a buyer - too risky.

Only if you're illegal. :lol: ...I'll sell to any foreigners - as long as you're here :)

I have dealt with folks here (overseas) and on TFL and other forums with folks I know. NOT on ebay however. Not worth it. It's less the people and more the handoff of packages and other red tape. Occasionally, it IS the people. Just not worth the hassle - to each his/her own. Nothing personal. It's MY money and I don't like parting with it unless I benefit from it. I have no spare time to track and hassle over it. I have no "business" so maybe that makes a difference in my outlook.
In fact, I sent a small package to Couchy and I have not even heard he received it yet. Been weeks now (AUS). I'm already worried about that one, and it's an inexpensive deal!

a2jacketpatches

"I have dealt with folks here (overseas) and on TFL and other forums with folks I know. NOT on ebay however. Not worth it. It's less the people and more the handoff of packages and other red tape. Occasionally, it IS the people. Just not worth the hassle - to each his/her own. Nothing personal. It's MY money and I don't like parting with it unless I benefit from it. I have no spare time to track and hassle over it. I have no "business" so maybe that makes a difference in my outlook.
In fact, I sent a small package to Couchy and I have not even heard he received it yet. Been weeks now (AUS). I'm already worried about that one, and it's an inexpensive deal!"

Understood, on a smaller scale any problems might deter me as well, and Ebay is not very helpful when there is problems.

Andrew

He could be fine Stony, ive done that before.

It's been a mixed bag for me buying and selling over the last 10 years but that mix is probably 2 per cent unpleasant and the rest great with some excellent experiences. I wouldn't rush into a deal but in this case I would at least open a dialogue. I've both bought and sold stuff with agreements based on extended payments or special delivery details. Perhaps I'm trusting but that's just me.

Last year I bought a jacket from a great foreigner, (he was American)- we quickly developed a relationship and hatched a deal that'd save him money and give me time to get the funds together since it was worth several grand. It all worked well as we had a payment plan and he was kept up to date and was receiving progress payments. He even helped me out with doing extra research since i already knew more about the jacket than be did. I do think I was lucky in this case having an honest guy to do the deal with but it still took a lot of trust (I did google him though).

With regard to delivery times (and specifically to Australia) since just before Christmas it's started taking weeks to get here so perhaps that's why Trev hasn't replied yet, but then again he does sometimes go bush with business obligations. At the moment im still waiting for a 380th BG DI to arrive that was paid for a month ago. Having said that though I did receive a small package from John Jeter a few days ago and that got here in under a week, which is the normal time frame (thanks John, I'll drop u a line shortly)!

I suppose it depends on your needs, and in mine I haven't had a choice since most of what I have was located somewhere else. I'm just thankful that the guys I dealt with weren't worried about trading globally.

ausreenactor

Stony said:
I recieved this from an ebay member today. I have no idea who they are or if they are a member of VLJ, so if you are, I'm not trying to call you out or make a fool of you.

How would you respond to this?

Hello, Would you be able to wait up to 14 days for payment after the listing ends if I need the extra time. Hopefully my feedback will put your mind at ease. Thank you **

The two ** were their initials, so I deleted them in case they were a member here.

Do you want to sell it? He forces the under bidder, the high bidder or he just walks away. He may have a bonus, payment to him pending, or a lay away plan he is openly talking about. He can pay with Paypal and then your 45 days starts. I have sold many items like this. In some cases the guys are really keen. And I have hit up sellers myself with an auth given almost every time. If the seller knows your plan you are fine. Same for more buys from the same seller. All about item descriptions and communication. If you can master those eBay is a piece of piss. He is just letting you that he wants it, at the least he sets the standard for the guy who wants it more than him. And they bid higher. This is just a guy who wants to buy your item! I have been doing the eBay thing for 12 years with 1700 transactions under my belt. Forewarned is forearmed. And militaria/jacket types are pretty much a better kind of people!

Couchy

ausreenactor

deeb7 said:
ButteMT61 said:

It is strange how the majority of non-International sales types are in the US? The rest of the world
can handle a customs form, WTF? Google translate makes it easier to communicate with sellers in
any eBay site around the world. But only the US site/sellers block you from asking a question?

Couchy

ausreenactor

a2jacketpatches said:
"I have dealt with folks here (overseas) and on TFL and other forums with folks I know. NOT on ebay however. Not worth it. It's less the people and more the handoff of packages and other red tape. Occasionally, it IS the people. Just not worth the hassle - to each his/her own. Nothing personal. It's MY money and I don't like parting with it unless I benefit from it. I have no spare time to track and hassle over it. I have no "business" so maybe that makes a difference in my outlook.
In fact, I sent a small package to Couchy and I have not even heard he received it yet. Been weeks now (AUS). I'm already worried about that one, and it's an inexpensive deal!"

Understood, on a smaller scale any problems might deter me as well, and Ebay is not very helpful when there is problems.

That patch is here safe and sound. PMs indicated my sent PM as read?? Hmmm... :? And the screws are here too!!! One on the rifle and three spares!!

Couchy

Stony

Stony, I do not see a problem. Keep the jacket for the 14 days and if no payment, relist and sell it.

My issue with if they back out of the deal is that you've probably lost some of your audience (bidders) and trying to resell it more than likely will result in a lower final bid. Anyone that's been in sales knows that getting the buyer to push the button the first time is the best time.

Everything aside, the item sold and I'm happy with the end result.

ButteMT61

ausreenactor said:
a2jacketpatches said:

That patch is here safe and sound. PMs indicated my sent PM as read?? Hmmm... :? And the screws are here too!!! One on the rifle and three spares!!

Couchy

Couch - glad you got them - I wasn't worried about YOU sir, it was the mail. First time sending to AUS and I didn't want you to get hosed on those. Happy to hear it's just slow! I hope you didn't interpret that as being worried about YOU! You paid me right away - before I asked actually - so like I said, I trust folks until i have reason not to - and a FAVOR is a FAVOR. If I'm buying a jacket to flip it, that's not a favor and I am free to make money on it, guilt-free.

269sqnhudson

Steve27752 said:
Stony, I do not see a problem. Keep the jacket for the 14 days and if no payment, relist and sell it.

I agree. I've done this for people and I don't mind. I've asked for 7 days grace once too. You can say no and I don't think anyone would be particularly hurt. He's just being polite and asking if you'd consider it...no biggy

A

Anonymous

make an agreement with the second highest bidder, that if the winner does not perfom in 14 days, he (the 2nd) gets the jacket. This way you lose only the difference between 1st and 2nd bidder

you don't need to relist.