• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eastman warhorse

Stef

Hi ALL,

Is there any ELC warhorse lover around ?
the grain doesn't look natural IMO, do you think they do something special in the tannery to get that mashed look ??
I received an ELC Monarch, and returned it because of that, among other details.
Why such a high price ?? couldn't they lower their pockets instead of increasing the price :(

that hide looks better to me
http://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/vi ... 19&t=10319

-------------------
STEF

John Lever

Most of us here think WH is the best yet from Eastman. Perhaps it's a little too thick for A-2's, but look at the arm facings on my Perry B-3 -
IMG_7685.jpg

WH comes from Italy the home of some of the best and most expensive tanneries.

RCSignals

Stef said:
Hi ALL,

Is there any ELC warhorse lover around ?
the grain doesn't look natural IMO, do you think they do something special in the tannery to get that mashed look ??
I received an ELC Monarch, and returned it because of that, among other details.
Why such a high price ?? couldn't they lower their pockets instead of increasing the price :(

that hide looks better to me
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10319

-------------------
STEF

That hide you like isn't Horse. maybe wrinkly Horse hide doesn't appeal to you

omarco

i'm really no expert, but to my eye the warhorse leather on my Star just keeps getting better and better, i think it looks even better in russet colour too. just IMHO.

Stef

I do like Wrinkles and grain, but it was a lot of it and on every piece of the jacket , right out from the box, when i received the monarch, like if this had been done with some kind of tannery treatment. And on top of that, it was very shiny.
But it probably get better with age, as on some pics i've seen on the forum.

Roughwear

Horsehide used on original A2s varied from shiny to quite dull when the jackets were new and this is exactly what ELC and GW provide today. I prefer less shiny leather, but each to his own.

ButteMT61

Roughwear said:
Horsehide used on original A2s varied from shiny to quite dull when the jackets were new and this is exactly what ELC and GW provide today. I prefer less shiny leather, but each to his own.

Indeed. I'm glad everyone has different likes. Given the number of contracts, makers, etc., there's a lot of options for jackets. I used to like the duller hides, but that changed a few years back.

Stef

Yes you're right, matter of taste. I like dull russet, but shiny Seal...twisted ?.....
---------------
Stef

Marv

ButteMT61 said:
Stef said:
Yes you're right, matter of taste. I like dull russet, but shiny Seal...twisted ?.....
---------------
Stef

If this is twisted, haul me away! :lol:

RW27752.jpg

Me too...............

here's a old'ish photo of my ELC RW 27752 in the new warhorse hide............

da3969b2.jpg