• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman Rough Wear B-3 Broken Grain

Falcon_52

I thought the members might like a few quick pictures of the new broken grain Eastman RW B-3. I apologize for the quality - my camera is a little flaky sometimes. I will try to put together a full review in the near future but these will have to do for now.

The front shot really shows how much grain is on the front panels:

b3front_full.jpg

The rear shot shows a contrast - not as much grain:

b3back_full.jpg

This one shows a good side-by-side where the belt panel has little grain and the pocket panel has quite a bit:

b3belt_area.jpg

The under collar area shows a somewhat matte finish. All the panels have some sheen to them but the collar and the windflap are the most dull:

b3collar_right.jpg

Noel

Silver Dollar

So that's what broken grain means. I like the colors on that better than the one I have. Mine is from the Cockpit which I bought over 30 years ago. Mine is real dark and it must have shrunk over the years because I can't get it closed over my stomach. I wonder why.

John Lever

Noel,
I am Eastman's biggest fan but also their biggest critic.
This time they have nailed it.
This jacket is the best RW B-3 so far IMO. I think the finish looks perfect now that there is some shine to the crackly surface. No need to go to The Few for a Liberator it's right here in Plymouth.

Andrew

Now this is confusing. Why don't ELC use this skin for their Irvins- the crinkly effect is actually more like late War Irvins than the broken stuff they're currently using. Left hand right hand....

John Lever

Andrew said:
Now this is confusing. Why don't ELC use this skin for their Irvins- the crinkly effect is actually more like late War Irvins than the broken stuff they're currently using. Left hand right hand....
I asked about this and got a flat refusal.
Perhaps if more people enquired ?

Falcon_52

I agree, Eastman should use this hide for their Irvins. From what I understand, the dye and top finish are applied at the Eastman factory for the B-3s. They could just change the color and they would have some nice Irvin material. Maybe it's too costly for them to do?

I'm still hoping that the new 1942 pattern will be a winner. After seeing John Lever's post with the hide sample, I think I like it better than the BoB pattern. I guess we'll see...

Noel

John Lever

There's always the Lewis Leathers jacket to look forward to[or not] The Previous one was made by ELC so the next one may not be too good.