• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman B-1 Cap win

watchmanjimg

deand said:
Possibly genuine, but the lettering on the tag just doesn't look 'period correct' to me, especially the "Premium Cap Co.".

dean

Well, here are four examples of what appear to be original items by the same maker. What say you?

Label4.jpg
Label3.jpg
Label2.jpg
Label1.jpg

deand

Brim stamp and inner stamp, both blue. BUT....I have found evidence that clears the issue for me. At a site called 'Worthpoint", a site that collates ebay auctions, I guess, I found a B-1 REPLICA listed as sold in 2006. Photos from the listing match my cap perfectly, aside from a larger size, from the tag lettering style, HBT sweatband and stitching lines around the base of the cap body spaced strangely about 1/8" apart. The AAF stamp is in identical position on the brim, too. For me, the only question is the maker. (I'd love to identify the manufacturer because apparently they make a 7 3/4 cap which a few guys here need.) Pics I could copy from the site. Compare the tag:

untitled1.jpg

1_3735223e5069926d7baaf904adc9644a.jpg

dean

watchmanjimg

Good research, Dean. At this point I'd have to agree as this variant has been stated as a repro both by Worthpoint and the seller of your cap (albeit erroneously as to maker).

deand

watchmanjimg said:
Good research, Dean. At this point I'd have to agree as this variant has been stated as a repro both by Worthpoint and the seller of your cap (albeit erroneously as to maker).

Thanks! I try. Now I want to identify the maker, and this is even more challenging. Where have I missed something?

dean

watchmanjimg

Man, I don't know. All the well-known repro makers typically ID their goods so that they can be recognized as such. I don't know much about B-1s, but I'm surprised no one else here has encountered one of these before.

dmar836

Here's an original...... at least I hope it is. Got it around '98.

No stamp.

IMG_7275.jpg

Sweat band material.

IMG_7276.jpg

Here's a close up. Tag is missing.

IMG_7277.jpg

deand

Great cap, Dave. That would be a fine model for a Korean War Crew Cap! :D That leather sweat looks very supple for its age. Looks like it has a white tag.

dean

dmar836

Unfortunately the tag is missing on the B-1.

Here is a "theater-made" cap. Not sure of the actual vintage but I would imagine WW2 and Korean use at the latest.
IMG_7296.jpg

IMG_7298.jpg

Interesting that this one has a 3-panel design as opposed to the B-1's 4-panel pattern.

I might make some of these as theater-made items generally appear to mimic a contract but aren't held to the same pattern. While there are sewing principles that are universal on all such items - production or theater-made - there isn't the stitch-counting and attention to uber-detail following them nor could/should there be.

Dave

deand

I wondered if you would be interested in doing that. I'd settle for an A-3 from you. Love to be that first customer. :D

dean

dmar836

Here's another. Interesting how these were simplified - not likely due to lack of skills but likely lack of time. Both do have a headband of sorts. Both are downright floppy in all dimensions. That 3-panel one has a full-sized twill band, and this 4-panel one has a narrow knit tape. Snaps added for O2 mask. Cool stuff.

IMG_7301.jpg

IMG_7300.jpg

IMG_7302.jpg

Dave

deand

Beautiful, Dave! Your collection is a trove of examples! Thank you! Here's a question I'ver never found the answer to, "What, besides a 'four panel' cap, is that style of cap known as; is there actually a name for the style? Maybe there isn't, but maybe there are several, and why did that style seem to disappear from cap designs? Just because of baseball cap predominence?

dean

dmar836

I really don't know the answers. I do suspect that the invention of the adjustable one-size-fits-all cap, and "Trucker Cap" bastardization, the cost of custom caps was no longer justified.
As I told my younger, and IMO very ignorant(not in a bad way), co-workers, the two things guys and gals both always used to know that they don't know now? Their hat size and their glove size. I'm 43 and didn't know mine either - never had to.

Dave