• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman B-1 Cap win

deand

Scored a nice campanion to my A-2s for $38 plus $5 something shipping. Seller claims it's pretty new. Not convinced from the photos, but the tag looks pretty pristine.

Cmj-sQBGkKGrHqQOKnUEz1dgbgg7BNDrdBe4Q_3.jpg

CmkIBGkKGrHqEOKj8EzTtOyfvBNDrd17mDQ_3.jpg

CmkW7WkKGrHqIOKpgEyjCcqkBNDrelbYIg_3.jpg

CmkDgWkKGrHqMOKo4EyjCzfCZBNDrdnfGOw_3.jpg

dean

deand

Yeah. Not fair to the larger sizes, agreed! If I had the time, material, pattern, equipment, and ability, I'd make repro caps from scratch to fit anyone. I mean it. I would. And I'd love doing it. Had some communication with the seller. His father was an AAF mechanic. Seems like a great guy. Invited him to ask to join the forum. I'm pretty sure that cap is next to brand new new, just like he said.

dean

dmar836

Great hat for sure! Hope it fits well enough. Don't paint it though.
Out of curiosity, how much would one charge for such a hat if all the conditions were met? I bet once you made a couple, you would change your mind. If I may venture way out on a rant(if your up for the read)...... not intending to be inflammatory and certainly not belittling, but there is a lot going into such a seemingly simple item that, without huge economies of scale(and considerable sales to match), would kill the "happy" part quickly. Just speaking as a former small business owner and fabricator in many other hobbies with many, many offers of such a custom "job". 'Aint always what it's cracked up to be. What if you could get those down to 1 1/2 hours each (seriously doubt it without a line) including cutting parts, assembling, etc. Try this using even "wrong" material just for a trial. Not to mention time procuring the proper materials (10oz gabardine wool in the right color doesn't grow on trees). What's left over after materials, supplies, and equipment is an hourly wage of less than $10 and a sore back and hands..... and a growing dislike of such projects. Even assuming sales for an item you would have to overprice (likely twice what Eastman charges), you'll undoubtedly get a few difficult customers and you are quite awakened. There is no way to anticipate the ways customers will take a simple issue and make it impossible. One redo, extra two-way mail charge, and profit is gone. Then it will be returned again. Trust me(some are laughing in agreement right now). Also, you spend the first part of production sifting through and trialing materials, inching your way to a closer authenticity, all the time leaving early customers with your costliest items yet something you feel later you could now improve upon, both in skills and new-found materials.
Sometimes, even on paper, it looks promising but ask Diamond and the others that make garments on here, there isn't much profit if not just from the time commitment - the one expense undervalued by most - initially by makers and almost always by buyers. I have had this type of discussion numerous times and the only ones who think I'm overly negative about it are those who have never tried such a venture.
Sorry to get off topic but would like to see what is thought about such items and what goes into them.
Just saying.
Love the hat and it does look pretty much like my authentic one. Mine doesn't have the stamp though. Should look spot on with an A-2. Grab some khakis and head on out!
Dave

deand

Indeed, reproduction of such caps is beyond my ability and I really have no idea of the challenges and complexities of the reality. I think your "rant", Dave, was actually very interesting, and I learned quite a bit from it. Dreams often are just that, a fantasy that never translates into a reality. I think I would have to work with someone, for starters, to ever see such a concept have even a chance to succeed. Thanks for your interest and input. Much appreciated! AND BTW, no paint will ever get near this one. ;)

dean

dmar836

I'd be interested in hearing how similar the B-1 pattern is to the 50's squadron caps you showed pics of.
Dave

deand

Just got it out of the box. It has a CLOTH sweatband, made out of HBT material. Even WPG claims to have a leather sweatband, as do MASH and Eastman. So who the heck made this repro? Seller claimed it was an Eastman.

dean

watchmanjimg

Are we so sure it's a repro? Google Premium Cap Co. and you'll get a ton of hits showing original WW2 headgear by this maker. Maybe this was just an especially lucky score for Dean. :D

dmar836

My original has the leather band.
I think I had to give $150 about 10 yrs ago. Not the easiest to find and I'd almost be afraid of one now with all the decent repros around.
I'll try to remember to post pics.

Dave

deand

Love to see the pics, Dave. As far as I can tell, those Korean War Air Crew caps must have some design linage to the B-1, the construction in the body of the cap is so similar, though visor shapes vary a bit. Looks the the Japanese tailors felt compelled to line their caps, though.

dean

Weasel_Loader

watchmanjimg said:
Are we so sure it's a repro? Google Premium Cap Co. and you'll get a ton of hits showing original WW2 headgear by this maker. Maybe this was just an especially lucky score for Dean. :D

I thought I was the only one that was thinking this also. Sure does look the part without doing any research on my end as I know nothing about hats.

Clark J

Just went and looked at my 10 yr old Eastman,that ain't an Eastman!!Mine has Eastman on the label and the stitching is way different!!

deand

Clark J said:
Just went and looked at my 10 yr old Eastman,that ain't an Eastman!!Mine has Eastman on the label and the stitching is way different!!

Indeed. But who made it, then? It does not have the 'old' smell to it. Or the mothball aroma. Or any mustiness about it. It doesn't feel like it was stored for 60 or so years, or worn, either.

dean

watchmanjimg

deand said:
Clark J said:

Indeed. But who made it, then? It does not have the 'old' smell to it. Or the mothball aroma. Or any mustiness about it. It doesn't feel like it was stored for 60 or so years, or worn, either.

dean

According to the label, Premium Cap Co. made it. :D

Seriously, I'm surprised that no one here pegged it immediately as a repro if that's what it is. I took a quick look and caps produced by the usual suspects are readily distinguishable from yours.

I suggest we assume that it's original until proven otherwise.

deand

Possibly genuine, but the lettering on the tag just doesn't look 'period correct' to me, especially the "Premium Cap Co.".

dean