• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early USAF caps-

fishmeok

I think this is interesting- it's a late '40's (I think) Luxenberg USAF hat that's a blend between the two styles. Luxenberg made some of the finest WWII crush caps and this retains many of the features- backstrap and smaller cover, while using thew new design- stiff brim, solid peak, etc.

CompDown1081.jpg

CompDown1082.jpg

CompDown1084.jpg

CompDown1087.jpg

And next to two WWII crush caps- a Dobbs on the left, Lewis on the right:

CompDown1088.jpg

AND in comparison with the regular issue caps, The USAF is a Bancroft "Pac-Cap" Unissued from 1956, the Felt WWII is from Saxs Fith Ave.

CompDown1094.jpg

CompDown1098.jpg

CompDown1096.jpg

Cheers
Mark

Mark,

I noticed also that the Luxenberg uses elastique fabric, not the gabardine. Does it have the hinged assembly inside the brim, behind the cap device?

fishmeok

No- it has a fixed stiffener. The pac-cap has the hinged assembly inside though.

IMG_2266.jpg

IMG_2265.jpg

Can anyone figure out the date on the Luxenberg Contract? It looks like Mil-Spec 46-309??
Cheers
Mark

watchmanjimg

Mark:

I don't think it's a military contract. What that says is that the private-purchase cap meets USAF specs. In any case it's a beauty. :D