• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early N-2B and N-3Bs

Weasel_Loader

Thought about first posting this in review section, but figure that should be reserved for leather jacket reviews, so here is my review of newly acquired nylon.

I've been searching for quite a long time for these two jacket models. It's pretty odd that you can find earlier N-2A and N-3A much easier than these two jackets.

Just received this N-2B today. I have to say, this was one of the best deals I've ever secured on ebay. There are a few issues with the jacket, but not deal breakers for me. There is no tag as it looks to have been removed most likely when it left government hands by the GI it was issued to. It's either an A, B or C model from my estimation. The large majority of these contracts were made by Rolen.

The shell on this jacket is very clean overall.

N-2B1.jpg

N-2B2.jpg

The zipper pulls are crisp and snaps do not show any wear.

N-2B4.jpg

Decal is super!

N-2B3.jpg

Really like the coyote fur ruff on this jacket.

N-2B5.jpg

Issue #1 is some ink staining on just below left sleeve pocket.

N-2B8.jpg

Issue #2 is some missing mouton. Not sure what caused this. I was a little worried from photos before I got the jacket that the hood might have a case of stiffness as these sometimes exhibit. Not so. Mouton is very soft and entire hood like new. Mouton doesn't feel brittle and might have been eating by moths or some other kind of bug. Anyone know a good source for mouton patch material?

N-2B6.jpg

N-2B7.jpg

Issue #3 is mothing on sleeve knit. Not too bad and might look into replacing this one. All other knits have only very small nips.

N-2B9.jpg

Overall, this is my new favorite nylon I've owned. Not as bulky as N-3Bs and doesn't seem as thick. Taking measurements from other period N-2Bs, I estimate the size on this to be a Large.

Next is a C model Albert Turner N-3B that I got a few weeks ago. Last year, I had a very nice D model Albert Turner with Conmar zippers. I've been really wanting a C or earlier model with Crowns and finally found this one for a nice price. It's a Large and perfect size for me. My old D model in X-Large was just too big since these are made to layer light zone and sometime intermediate zone jacket underneath. I'm going to grade this jacket as Good + condition.

C1.jpg

C2.jpg

C3.jpg

Love these huge Crown zippers.

C4.jpg

C5.jpg

The interior mouton does have a split in the material. Fur ruff is on the short side. I have seen other originals with short fur, but I've also seen some with very long ruffs. It is possible that this ruff could have been cut shorter by a previous owner.

I will most likely be selling this one since it's really too bulky. You'd think I'd learn after owning three previous N-3Bs, but couldn't pass up the deal on this one.

Anyway, just wanted to share my latest purchases and thanks for looking.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Weasel_Loader said:
It's pretty odd that you can find earlier N-2A and N-3A much easier than these two jackets ...
It's either an A, B or C model from my estimation. The large majority of these contracts were made by Rolen.

Great score ... Full Gear lists nine MIL-J-6278, N-2A contracts, followed by a solitary 6278B, N-2B Rolen contract in 1957.

Weasel_Loader

deeb7 said:
Weasel_Loader said:
It's pretty odd that you can find earlier N-2A and N-3A much easier than these two jackets ...
It's either an A, B or C model from my estimation. The large majority of these contracts were made by Rolen.

Great score ... Full Gear lists nine MIL-J-6278, N-2A contracts, followed by a solitary 6278B, N-2B Rolen contract in 1957.

Do you mind if I ask what the nine contracts were? Too bad there is really no way to identify an A from a B or C. :roll:

watchmanjimg

Weasel_Loader said:
deeb7 said:
Weasel_Loader said:

Do you mind if I ask what the nine contracts were? Too bad there is really no way to identify an A from a B or C. :roll:

I'm speculating because I don't have access to my C-model N-3B at the moment, but have you considered the mouton hood lining as a possible distinguishing feature? I'm certain there was a switch to synthetic at some point, but I don't know to what extent mouton- and synthetic-lined hoods were produced concurrently.

Atticus

Weasel_Loader said:
It's pretty odd that you can find earlier N-2A and N-3A much easier than these two jackets.
This does seem to be the truth, doesn't it? I've never really understood why good N-2As seem to be so abundant on e-bay. And I would guess that size XL and L are the most common sizes. It is the exact opposite of the situation one normally encounters when trying to find examples of other kinds of jackets. Can you imagine looking for one, size 42, D-series G-1 and only being able to find a dozen, size 48 M-422s?

AF

Weasel_Loader

I will say the mouton on this N-2B feels a little more plush than my previous D model and current C model N-3Bs. Could be a difference.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Weasel_Loader said:

Now that I look more closely, three of the contracts were for trousers only. The remaining six were:

• Aviators Clothing Co.. Inc
    Monarch Mfg. Co.
    S.H.Knopf Mfg. Co.
    The Drybak Corporation (2)
    C.H.Masland & Sons

The next jacket contract listed is the Rolen 6278B. The only 'A' recorded is an earlier Southern Athletic trouser contract, and no 'C' contracts are noted.

Peter Graham

Weasel_Loader said:
They are C&C Crowns. That's the first N-2B I've seen with those zippers.
I knew they existed but it took me a long time to track this one down. I love it. Those are two great jackets you've picked up Danny. Remember the mint small early N-2B you posted in the auction section a while back ? It went for under $200. I kinda wish I'd bought it now but I've already got two nice N-2B's so I really couldn't justify it, even to myself ! I'm searching for that exact contract of N-3B that you bought, except a small. A few have turned up but in rough condition. That's a real beauty you've found. If you ever come across a small one please let me know.

Weasel_Loader

Peter,

That Alpha with crowns that you have must have been a very small contract. Never saw one until you posted yours. A real keeper!

I'll keep you posted by PM if I come across any early N-3Bs in small. I will be selling my Large N-3B since I only got it for the great deal. It's not in as good of condition as I would like. My N-2B suits me much better also and doesn't feel so huge. ;)

Weasel_Loader

Yes, I do remember. Funny how we wonder about something that is so trivial to the production, such as one type of zipper running out in stock and they acquire a different zipper for the next run. Maybe I do have some sort of OCD. :lol:

Weasel_Loader

PM sent Peter.

Peter Graham said:
Weasel_Loader said:
They are C&C Crowns. That's the first N-2B I've seen with those zippers.
I knew they existed but it took me a long time to track this one down. I love it. Those are two great jackets you've picked up Danny. Remember the mint small early N-2B you posted in the auction section a while back ? It went for under $200. I kinda wish I'd bought it now but I've already got two nice N-2B's so I really couldn't justify it, even to myself ! I'm searching for that exact contract of N-3B that you bought, except a small. A few have turned up but in rough condition. That's a real beauty you've found. If you ever come across a small one please let me know.