• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eagle Squadron / 4th FG Duane Beeson

bombs away

Hi gents,

I know it's not exactly a flight jacket and it's not made of leather, but I thought it might find some interest here. It's about a jacket which belonged to the multiple Ace Duane Beeson. His bio in in the description but I'm sure you already knew this hero.

What do you think of it ? Authentic ? If yes it should be in a museum.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WOW-US-WWII-AAC-Maj ... dZViewItem

Tim.

Roughwear

Lignemaginot said:
The smudges behind the hand-written names don't give me a lot of confidence that this isn't a doctored example.

You may well be correct here. Either someone has gone over previously smudged/worn writing or another name has been covered over. The provenance of the jacket really needs to be properly established.

DiamondDave

Ahhh... where to begin?

The name is obviously added later, after removing the original owners name with a tide stick or something.... also it appears to be written with a ball point pen (look at all of the small lines that make up each letter).... these pens were not created until after the war. The proper pen would have been a fountain type with which to do this.

Where are Beeson's "Hershey Bar" overseas ribbons on the left sleeve? There appear to be none, yet every period photo that I have seen of him clearly shows them.

As a member of a VERY flamboyant unit, the period photos also show him with an embroidered "bullion" type 8th AF patch on his tunics as well, which this does not have either.

This definitely would have to have a very strong provenance for my particular tastes.

DD