• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Each Manufacturer’s specialty?

mulceber

This is something that I’ve been idly thinking about for a couple days now. In some ways this is subjective, but what do you think is each repro manufacturer’s most well-done/most popular contract? Excluding Platon for obvious reasons. :p

mulceber

Yeah, I was thinking A-2s specifically, but we could also have categories for non-A-2 and civilian jackets. I’m guessing the best seller in the civilian category for Aero would be the Highwayman? ;)

Ken at Aero Leather

Yeah, I was thinking A-2s specifically, but we could also have categories for non-A-2 and civilian jackets. I’m guessing the best seller in the civilian category for Aero would be the Highwayman? ;)

Yes................By a country mile, has been every single years since 1983 except between 1992-1994 when the Half Belt outsold everything

Second and third in recent years have been the Board Racer and The Shackleton, both new models since 4 or 5 years ago

mulceber

Yeah, I’m surprised at the 1711 too. Seems like a later Aero contract or the Bronco would be much more likely.

what about BK, ELC or GW? For various reasons, we don’t have their owners around to give us numbers, but which ones do you all think they make particularly well or think is their specialty?

foster

what about BK, ELC or GW? For various reasons, we don’t have their owners around to give us numbers, but which ones do you all think they make particularly well or think is their specialty?

ELC I would guess is their B-3, their A-2 Rough Wear, or their "house blend"
BK I only ordered one, but maybe it seems like the DuBow is their main offering now?
GW seems to specialize in anything they make; copying the originals as closely as can be achieved. But I do have a fondness for his Werber A-2's.

mulceber

ELC I would guess is their B-3, their A-2 Rough Wear, or their "house blend"
BK I only ordered one, but maybe it seems like the DuBow is their main offering now?
GW seems to specialize in anything they make; copying the originals as closely as can be achieved. But I do have a fondness for his Werber A-2's.

I agree on ELC - most of the ones I see going up for sale on ebay are rough wears or stars. Helps that they have so many different RW contracts available. I agree that Dubow was probably BK's specialty a year or two ago, but I suspect Platon has siphoned off a lot of those orders. Heck, that's probably why he chose to build a company around Dubow contracts. Nowadays I'm not sure what their specialty would be. Maybe RW as well? I know of like 2 RWs on order from them right now (including my own), and a third person that's considering it.

foster

Charles at HPA has written that the Roughwear 27752 is his best selling ELC Original Maker (and that it used to be the 1401P).
That is what my last ELC A-2 was, a 27752. Loved the look of it, but the pockets were just too high, and the leather had some sort of clearcoat applied to it. Now I wear a DuBow 27798 made of what appears to be the same hide as my ELC 27752 was, but without the clearcoat.

petermack09

I'm asssuming we are talking Military only?

If so, having checked our records , I'm amazed
By far the best seller for us is our 38-1711-P Type A-2
I'd never have guessed that, I'd have thought a B-3 or one of the later Aero A-2 contracts.
Bingo,,,:)
image.jpg