• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dyeing Nylon- try #1

fishmeok

I recently acquired a Weintrab Bros. L-2A and already have an Alpha vintage B-15c. I always thought the original blue was very weird- sort off an off-robins egg blue. Decided to try dyeing them more of a proper blue.

For the test I used Jacquard acid dye from a JoAnne Fabrics. The only color they had was brilliant blue but it looked dark so I tried it. I used the sink in the basement with hot water from a teakettle. It dyed to a much nicer blue, but still not the dark blue I wanted. I have some Navy Blue dye coming that is the darkest blue they sell. I'll post pics after round 2 as well.

Cheers
Mark

Weintraub L-2A after:
067.jpg

018.jpg

fishmeok

I know it hurts Clarkie- but look in the mirror....

Now ask me what I did to that B-3....

Cheers
Mark

fishmeok

Try the deep fried cheese curds...

It's odd that we don't have more places right by the Mississipi. It's a better restaurant than when it was Gabby's. Great use for an old church....

If Clark and Jeff (Tankbuster) didn't live so far away from civilisation it would be a good place to meet up. And yes Jeff, I do consider St Cloud the wild frontier. And Clark practically lives in a sod hut on the plains in Anoka.

Cheers
Mark

High Iron

Hard to beat good cheese curds, I'll have to give them a try. We take a crew van from Northtown yard to Boom Island on occasion to change crews, have been by there many times and didn't realize until a few months ago that Suzi's is on the river. The BNSF puts us up in the Roseville Radisson on our layovers, will have to try to get together in the future.

Take care,

Bjorn

fishmeok

Psyco Suzie's is the closest thing to a true Tiki bar left in the twin cities. Lots of young people running around with interesting tattoos. Nice place to go on an early Sunday evening.

Back to the jacket- My goal is to get it to the correct dark blue (anyone know what the shade was called?) We will see how the new dye works.

Cheers
Mark

fishmeok

Final result- between the 3 pics you get a pretty good idea of what the color is. More blue in direct sunlight and subdued in indirect. The fake mouton has a purplish tint in direct sunlight. If I was to do this again I would get a container large enough to fit on the stove and cook them properly for 1/2 hour. I think I would also add some black.

This is Jacqards Acid Dye Navy blue

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

017.jpg

Willy McCoy

You are very close with the re-dye. My B-15C has zero brightness in the blue but rather a more earth toned sub color - like a dark olive.