• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DUBIOUS... 506th PIR A-2 Jacket?

DiamondDave

I just spotted this on ebay... I am as the title says, a bit dubious about it, what do you guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Orig-WW2-WWII-A...ttp://my.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MyEbayBeta

My concerns start with the patches... How is it that they would have been sewn on originally while the liner was intact, and
yet there is no remnant of it around the patches on the inside? I would say that the patches were added later, and perhaps recently?

Why is the "Airborne tab" missing and yet seems to have been machine sewn, where the 101st was not?

You decide, but I will steer clear!

DD

Roughwear

The patches on this privately purchased A2 have been applied after the lining was removed. The stitch holes indicate the jacket has been messed with at some stage. It is developing signs of rot. Like you Dave I would avoid it.

ciddu

looks like a lot of money for a jacket with so many issues about it: leather holes, knits, missing lining, patches...
definitely not OK for me.

shiloh

DiamondDave said:
I just spotted this on ebay... I am as the title says, a bit dubious about it, what do you guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Orig-WW2-WWII-A...ttp://my.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MyEbayBeta

My concerns start with the patches... How is it that they would have been sewn on originally while the liner was intact, and
yet there is no remnant of it around the patches on the inside? I would say that the patches were added later, and perhaps recently?

Why is the "Airborne tab" missing and yet seems to have been machine sewn, where the 101st was not?

You decide, but I will steer clear!

DD

The 506 PIR patch on the chest looks like a 30,- GBP repro. I wear exactly the same patch on my 506 PIR reenactment A-2. The 101 AB eagle could be an original one but to make sure, you'll have to see the back side of the patch.

regards,

shiloh