• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doniger vs Spiewak A2 contract pattern questions

Abyss

As someone relatively new to A2s, the Doniger and Spiewak A2 contract patterns look very similar to me. Both made in goat hide, no collar stand, strong pointed collar tips, centered epaulets, inset sleaves. From the Good Wear website, the fit descriptions seem similar as well. Has anyone compared them before and help me better understand the differences in how they may fit or if there are any significant differences between them that should be pointed out?

I tried a search but didn't see anything. Apologies if I missed it. I appreciate any insights from the forum.

B-Man2

Silver Surfer

Of some interest is the fact that for the most part, original donis have survived rather well over the years as against spiewaks which have not. Most spiewaks seen today are basket cases due to dry rot. Of course, this a general observation, and I have seen a couple that were not red rotted.

caddyd

True enough ~ I have an original Doniger and Spiewak and both look and fit the same. They both have the shoulder seam under the epaulets and similar pointed collar. But the Doniger pockets and flaps are smaller. And as Silver Surfer noted the Spiewak is prone to dry rot. I've hard worn my Doniger for over fifty years but the Spiewak is cracking and peeling so badly it cant be worn. But Doniger had only one contract with very low numbers so harder to find.
DSCN5803.JPG

B-Man2

True enough ~ I have an original Doniger and Spiewak and both look and fit the same. They both have the shoulder seam under the epaulets and similar pointed collar. But the Doniger pockets and flaps are smaller. And as Silver Surfer noted the Spiewak is prone to dry rot. I've hard worn my Doniger for over fifty years but the Spiewak is cracking and peeling so badly it cant be worn. But Doniger had only one contract with very low numbers so harder to find.View attachment 142035
That’s a rare find in that condition . It looks great ,

Abyss

Thanks again caddyd! Very much appreciate the photos of the 2 contracts that show the differences between the snaps.