• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doh! Here's a AN-J-3 dilemma

Dr H

OK...so the AN-J-3 arrived this afternoon.

I laughingly said to a colleague - take a look at this rare vintage jacket, luckily it won't fit...won't even get an arm in (marked 40, etc., etc.). :lol:

...it fits... :eek:...pretty well... :shock:

It's actually thick, soft capeskin - no smells, great patina, triple marked Talon (tiny tears in lining, one cuff replaced with a period replacement. The sleeves are perfect, the length is longer than an A-2. It's a large 42 (more like a '43').

I'm wearing it now and, with the bi-swing back, it's even more comfortable than my ELC A-1. :roll:

This was meant to be a straight flip... :?

Images to follow - perhaps even with auton style face...

Persimmon

Dr H said:
OK...so the AN-J-3 arrived this afternoon.

I laughingly said to a colleague - take a look at this rare vintage jacket, luckily it won't fit...won't even get an arm in (marked 40, etc., etc.). :lol:

...it fits... :eek:...pretty well... :shock:

It's actually thick, soft capeskin - no smells, great patina, triple marked Talon (tiny tears in lining, one cuff replaced with a period replacement. The sleeves are perfect, the length is longer than an A-2. It's a large 42 (more like a '43').

I'm wearing it now and, with the bi-swing back, it's even more comfortable than my ELC A-1. :roll:

This was meant to be a straight flip... :?

Images to follow - perhaps even with auton style face...

We shall see !!!!!!

Maybe you will have to sell the A1 then ?.

Dr H

Hi Alan

No, the GW Perry 16175-P would go before the ELC A-1 at this stage.

There is a GW A-1 on order so that will assuage my A-1 dependency later, but I couldn't do without one at the moment.

Just a real surprise how well this one fits. I need to lose an inch or so from my belly, but it even accommodates this.

Otherwise, shoulders, chest, sleeves, length just perfect... :roll:

I've never really appreciated how the bi-swing back works in freeing up arm movement, but there you go - Doniger nailed it with this one.

blackrat2

Ian...someone was after a GW on this site...I think they wanted russet but the Perry definately has reddish undertones so might be worth sending a pm

John

DG567

Congrats! Looked like a great jacket, be sure to post those pics. And I think that perry would look good on me...hmmm. ;)

Dr H

Well...that wasn't supposed to happen, but I've been wearing it all afternoon and I think that it's a keeper.

So, I've fixed the loose button and I'll deal with the torn lining at the back of the neck to stabilise it for daily wear. It's not pristine so I don't feel the same weight of responsibility that I did with the McGregor A-2. I was happy to wear it to the car park in the pouring rain today.

I'll take some images tomorrow if the weather is a bit better and some proper dimensions, but there are some interesting design details. There's no way this is a 40 - must have been short on 44 or 42 labels :?

The grain is incredibly subtle and very similar to my former McGregor A-2, albeit a little thicker - like the domestic capeskin used in the older GW A-1 (in terms of colour too). For my money it's capeskin, which is another reason for keeping it - my favourite hide, ahead of goat. It was originally pretty glossy and this is still visible in some areas.

The most noticeable feature is the collar - very 'Doniger' in form with narrow points. There are three horizontal lines of stitching across the underside of the rear of the collar. It has the same folded hanger loop as the Doniger A-2 and a 'V' shaped throat flap.

It's a flattering cut with a roomy but neat torso with a narrow half belt and wide shoulders/arm holes. The arm profile is very similar to a Doniger A-2. The closure is with a triple-marked Talon on an olive green tape and a wide wind flap to the rear (3/4 height), snapped map pocket towards the inside of the lining.

The pockets are wide with a pen slot in the left one, pale brown horn buttons on the pockets and the underside of the collar.

The waistband is almost woven cotton (not very elasticated) and like the McGregor A-2 has a two-tone weave (this time dark brown and red).

The sleeves are rotated and inset with underarm expansion (each with three underarm grommets). I've not really seen many naval jackets in detail - it's a fiendishly complex construction - must have taken ages... Very, very comfortable in use - no riding up when driving and easy to fold arms.

I love Doniger jackets - they just drip quality.

One happy camper... :D

Dr H

Give me a chance Scott...it's 9.40 p.m. here and blacker than a miner's boot...

:roll:

Dr H

Here are the latest images of the AN-J-3 to complement those above.

DSCF1947.jpg

DSCF1946.jpg

DSCF1945.jpg

DSCF1944.jpg

DSCF1943.jpg

DSCF1940.jpg

DSCF1939.jpg

DSCF1938.jpg

DSCF1936.jpg

DSCF1935.jpg

DSCF1934.jpg

DSCF1942.jpg

I love the grain and the worn look of the hide - this looks identical to the colouring of the McGregor Sportswear A-2 seen below (and the original A-1 on the ELC site)

McGregorSportswearFullGear.jpg

This is really how I'd like my A-1 to end up...the hide is thick, soft and very warm.

Just found this cool effect on iPhoto...even spookier than the autons :eek:

DSCF1929.jpg

DSCF1933.jpg

DSCF1930.jpg

DSCF1931.jpg

This is seen worn over a heavy weight shirt so looks a little more snug than normal.

Roughwear

What a great find Ian. Your AN-J-3 looks fantastic and it fits you well. The hide is superb. BTW you didn't need to exchange your head and shoes for it! ;)

Dr H

Thanks to you for the heads up Andrew - I'd have been unlikely to have turned this one up as the listing was ambiguous.

It is incredibly comfortable to wear and the bi-swing back arrangement is an excellent design for driving.

I feel the AN-J-3 and slippers combo is particularly period... :cool:

Dr H

blackrat2 said:
Ian...someone was after a GW on this site...I think they wanted russet but the Perry definately has reddish undertones so might be worth sending a pm

John

Thanks John - GW Perry 16175-P sold pending payment.
Not quite enough time to pick up any dust :shock:
Hope the Roughwear is working out?
Must get together for a chin wag.

ciddu

Hello Ian, great jacket!
I'm not into civilian ones, but this one is really beautiful and fits you perfectly.
I notice that the one in the book seems to have clips under the collar points, while your new baby doesn't... am I right?
I suppose there are many variants, since there were no military specs to follow.
Enjoy it, I think navy jackets are extremely comfortable to wear, with an easy fit.
Congrats & cheers!

Dr H

Ciao!

Thanks for the compliments - the printed image is a more worn example of the McGregor Sportswear/Doniger A-2 that I sold recently.

IMG_8779.jpg

That was a typical Doniger A-2 design (despite being a civilian jacket in goatskin) and had snaps.

IMG_8782.jpg

The Doniger take on the AN-J-3 lacks snaps and epaulettes.

Andrew - could you give me a link to the AN-J-3 that you sold on EBay last year please?

ButteMT61

Ian - you CAN'T sell that! It was made for you. Had I found one like that in my size, it'd never leave. Congrats!

Dr H

Thanks Andrew, that jacket looked so much better than the hammer price. Couldn't really understand why it stayed low.

Thanks Scott, I don't plan to sell this one - so comfortable (similar feel to your GW A-1 I should think). Can't you see the smile on my face?!

Persimmon

Dr H said:
Thanks Andrew, that jacket looked so much better than the hammer price. Couldn't really understand why it stayed low.

Thanks Scott, I don't plan to sell this one - so comfortable (similar feel to your GW A-1 I should think). Can't you see the smile on my face?!

Looks good ....Mr Invisible Man !