• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do Avirex HH A2's have a good reputation?

CombatWombat

I just came across a Avirex branded HH A2 on Aussie fleaBay and it's in my size and looks like it's in NOS condition.
My question is......is the build/quality control on this brand pretty high or is it kinda garbage like most "commemorative" jackets ?
Screenshot of the label is incase someone has it in their collection and can talk about it.
I'm not looking for a "authentic" take on a particular contract or even a WW2 A2...... just want to dip my toes into the HH A2 world without resorting to GW or Aero....or any of the "your order will take a year and a half get to you" companies

Screenshot_20220420-083624.png
Screenshot_20220420-083612.png

Pa12

In the mid 80’s Avirex were the only a-2 I knew of. Had a russet cowhide which was awesome but a bit small. I replaced it in 88 with a seal cowhide which I wore until I discovered Eastman. Never had a hh Avirex, but my seal cowhide looks pretty cheesy now. Might depend on it’s vintage. The fit was good though.

mulceber

I'm not sure what the price tag on this one is, but have you considered Five Star? Probably a little bit more expensive, but a lotta bit more accurate than what Avirex produces. Not GW or Eastman by any means, but a good way to start exploring this hobby. AVI Denmark (not to be confused with Avirex) would be a good option too.

Last edited:

CombatWombat

I'm not sure what the price tag on this one is, but have you considered Five Star? Probably a little bit more expensive, but a lotta bit more accurate than what Avirex produces. Not GW or Eastman by any means, but a good way to start exploring this hobby. AVI Denmark (not to be confused with Avirex) would be a good option too.
I was looking at AVI Denmark but unfortunately it's a "buy now and wait till we make it for you"
I will be buying their Bronco HH A2 though since the russet looks amazing.....
The Avirex is only 700aud....which is 200aud more expensive than a Buzz Rickson A2 listed on there but it's in a crazy tiny size.....to be a size 36 instead of a 44

Pa12

I could be wrong but that sounds like a lot for an Avirex. You can get a Platon dubow for around 800 or so Aussie bucks. But it’s also pay and wait……and wait…..and wait

lgr1613

I have an Avirex just like this one, different size, goatskin, seal brown, no patch of course. Very comfortable, looks good, have had comments on how nice it looks. I would say reasonably authentic but not perfect. I would not hesitate to recommend it.

LGR

CombatWombat

You're not wrong at all.

I wouldn't worry about that. AVI's wait time is somewhere in the neighborhood of a few weeks to a month.
Oh only a month.....then I'll pull the trigger on it lol
The amount of people talking about a year plus in a waiting list for their jacket to be made me hesitate about AVI Denmark, I'll go and order from them since it's cheaper than the Avirex by about 250aud and it's brand new

mulceber

I should offer the caveat that I haven't ordered one, and the you'd get a better timeline in the AVI thread here, but having followed it, it sounds recently like people order a jacket and have it within a few weeks.

CombatWombat

Well I guess I'm getting that Bronco HH A2 in russet from AVI Denmark.... and maybe go back for the m422-A.... decisions....decisions....

CombatWombat

Well I'm glad I had some knowledgeable people who are happy to give their advice.
I decided to go with the AVI Denmark Bronco russet HH AND their M422-A since it worked out only a wee bit more expensive than the used Avirex....
Looks like my missus will have to put up with another hobby of mine lol

CombatWombat

I have a 1978 horsehide Avirex that looks nice and I’m happy with . View attachment 78026View attachment 78027
B-Man2..... what can I say.....that is a absolute gem of a jacket and if the one for sale looked half like that I'd have shelled out the 700aud happily.
I'm glad that Avirex made beautifully designed jackets out of hides with a lot of character.... maybe I'll be lucky in the future (if the A2 bug bites me hard) and find one of those early ones

Nickb123

It’s a lovely jacket, but surely you can find one for less. I know the patch makes it enticing but a little patience will pay off. That’s a rather high asking price.

That said, I still would like another one of these modern ones one day. I quite like the horsehide. Pockets are meh but the opinion I’ve long held is that most pilots don’t care about historical accuracy - certainly they gave no care when they were flying in perilous situations in the war(s). these loosely based jackets actually encapsulate the feel of “piloting” more than the super accurate repros. Plus, many WWII flyers wore these less than accurate recreations in their later years. Spirit is still there.There is a place for both I feel.
3E40A2DC-9529-4DDA-B9E0-1AC5B295AE74.jpeg

Last edited: