• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DIY A-2 after a year of wear

dmar836

So looks like I finished this at the end of Feb, 2014. It's been my main jacket since, except for the summer months of course.
I am not afraid to abuse it but I certainly DID NOT do any HWT, roll in any dirt, drag it under a cinder block, or do any other fake "time-worn" trick.
This amounts to just over one calendar year of real-time service wear. I DID work on cars and motos, work on planes(even a little light polishing but generally don't want it ruined), fly, and do anything else one should do.
The oil-pull hide has it's limitations but I like it for one years wear so... just wear them hard! Here are a couple quick iphone pics. Low res as Photobucket wouldn't load bigger today.

Dave

FlyingYankee

Looks really good, not much wear to see but the jacket fits you perfect. Are you planning on any other projects?

dmar836

I had all sorts if fit pics when I finished it("Ambitious A-2 Project" or similar).
These were just to show normal wear.
Dave

Andrew

The fit pics are in Dave's photobucket folder. Click on either of the two images to nav there...

Looks fab too by the way.

dmar836

Thanks Peter. That means a lot!
The tag is a 27752 though the pattern was from the prewar 18091. I did use OD thread but used cow and an M-42 Talon. Got lazy and never installed the hook. Found it and the rivets on the workbench last weekend.
Seriously considering making another but I have no shame in this one - it's done all I've asked and worn in like an original IMO. Too many and they'll never break in!

Dave

Peter Graham

dmar836 said:
Seriously considering making another but I have no shame in this one - it's done all I've asked and worn in like an original IMO. Too many and they'll never break in!

Wise words Dave, but you can make me one if you like. ;)

Smithy

That's just awesome Dave and it looks to be getting better and better with wear.

Nice one.