• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Discussion “A Better Fighting Garment…” - A Beginner’s Guide to the US Navy’s WWII-era and later Intermediate Flight Jackets

Pilot

To my knowledge Cagleco only had the G-1 government contract for one year 1957. So with that info they would both have to been made during that one year time period .
You can check the manufacturing dates here
According to Full Gear; 6 different contracts, dating from 1954-1957, just interrupted by two LW Foster contracts in 1955/56
B7245AE0-750B-4DDC-90CA-B5EE333CB676.jpeg

Last edited:

ZuZu

Looks like both of @johnwayne's jackets are on Full Gear's list. We should update ours (in fact, there's a couple of things I'd update, if the window for editing hadn't already expired).

I agree about updating this thread (Better Fighting Garment). There are some squishy factoids in it and some pretty severe speculation in parts. It would be cool to make it conform to Wikipedia standards which contrary to popular belief are quite high. For instance- you can't use editor's ideas or experience as references (no original research)- which occurs a lot in this thread. Most facts presented would have to have a reference and speculation or original research labeled as such. In general BFG is a beautiful thing superbly illustrated- it would be cool to make it an actual article!

johnwayne

As often it’s not what you know but who you know and you guys come up trumps again, amazing and thank you!
I did print off what I thought was a full list some time ago and that number wasn’t there hence my post!! Thanks again everso!!!

mulceber

Some of these errors have been bugging me for a while now. The big one for me was our claim that 55J14s were prone to red rot, when it was just one (maybe two?) contracts that's prone to red rot. But there's been a moment or two as well when a person posted a contract that wasn't in our list.

Chandler

@mulceber -- as has often been taught to us (at least in the old days), nobody's perfect.

While that often seems to be a fault these days, I don't think anyone should be raked over the coals for something rather trivial. A suggestion of correction shouldn't sound like a condemnation of incompetence. This thread is a work of passion and it shows.

Last edited:

ZuZu

Hopefully not with pressure from pedantic know-it-alls.

Oh, sorry -- did I post that publicly? :p

It's good to know it all!:D And I guess being pedantic about the small details of jackets or calling out false information on a forum dedicated to the small details of and information about jackets isn't necessarily bad. A forum dedicated to discussing the characteristics of jackets made between 1938 and 1968 is going to be pretty nerdy and pedantic. BTW- have you ever edited Wikipedia? It's a thing. Like on this forum you shouldn't get too emotional about it! You seem to have a bit of a dislike for me but I'm OK with it!

YoungMedic

Just realized I've been reading and saying Cagleco incorrectly, to myself really. I had thought it was CALEGO

Lord Flashheart

I think the time is right to do some edits. Let's face it this was titled "A beginners guide ..." and yes there's some speculation but if the whole thing gives readers more insight without misleading them (and we did try to be clear about the guesswork and opinion) and gets more people interested in the hobby I think that's a good thing.

Brettafett

Just received a gem. A mint Ralph Edwards 7823B series 1040-63 size 42. So far Ive been able to try on and inspect. Its immaculate, a Jorge-special, almost like its been in storage since '63.
The previous owner did say NOS. Original knits are perfect, mouton 100% perfect, clean, tight buttons... Not one single issue. However... first try-ons and I feel the sleeves may be a touch short... tears
Will post pics and details in due course.

Lord Flashheart

*** UPDATE ***

In case you're wondering why this thread isn't a sticky any more Jan, Wei and I are in the process of discussing edits to the original posts with the aim of creating an updated Beginners Guide (which began with about 5 of the 10 pages it currently contains).

This original thread can then naturally evolve into a discussion thread on Navy flight jackets as we feel there's clearly a place for that and an updated Beginners Guide sticky can itself evolve as a tighter source of knowledge as new information emerges or is discussed here.

Stay tuned !

mulceber

I'll add that I'm really excited about the changes that are coming. As a preview:
  • Greatly improved contract data. All of the contracts are now dated to the year, many of them to the month.
  • More photos of Navy jackets!
  • An honest-to-goodness identification guide to help people figure out what Navy jacket they have.
  • Discussion of the different Specifications has been mostly re-written to reflect further research.

Lord Flashheart

Coming shortly - " A Better Fighting Garment 2.0" ...

Following Jan's teaser we are pleased to say we aim to start posting a new Guide thread very soon.

As a small piece of "housekeeping" can we please ask that any comments and discussion on that new Guide thread, as it emerges, are posted here and not in the new Guide. We believe that this will keep the new Guide itself a tightly focused and readily searchable sticky resource for the long haul. Thanks !

Like Jan I'm really excited that this new Guide will be an even more informative source of information about this long running series of leather jackets.

Happy Easter :)