• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Depot Re-Dye!

fishmeok

I took a horse A-2 I made earlier and finally tried a depot re-dye. I mixed the colors to get what I wanted then hand-applied the dye. I think it turned out AWESOME! The color is actually a bit darker than it looks in the pics. May take the shoulder decal off though, don't know how I feel about that.

before:
IMG_2864.jpg

Now:
IMG_3998.jpg

IMG_4002.jpg

IMG_4001.jpg

IMG_4005.jpg

IMG_4000.jpg

IMG_4008.jpg

IMG_4004.jpg

IMG_4010.jpg

IMG_4006.jpg

B-Man2

Thats a beautiful re-dye. The color looks spot on and with some wear it will look even better.
I think you should definitely remove the shoulder patch. It looks like its out of place on the jacket.

Nice work!!
B-Man2

Mac

Wow. That looks superb. Amazing how you re-dyed without touching the zip tape or knits. I'd also 86 the shoulder patch.

Mac

dmar836

Stunning work! I too am curious about the thread. I cannot detect dye borders at all. Threads aside, how do you avoid the knits/lining?
Creasing or scuffing the decal might help it appeal to you.
Looks really great!
Dave
KC

fishmeok

The thread is 4 ply glazed cotton (waxed) so that probably helped repel the dye. It did darken up a bit though, and turned more of a reddish color. No secret to avoiding the knits and liner- just be careful with the dye!
Cheers
Mark

A

Anonymous

Excellent work
What dye di you use?

Fiebings?
Ever heard of Avel? www.avel.com
Wonder if one can do good job with that.