• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Deleted

B-Man2

Great jacket but once again it’s short for a size 44. Platon supposedly basis his patterns on WWII Dubows , but 24 inches for the back length of a size 44 is just too short in my opinion. It should be at least a 25 or 26 inch length.

B-Man2

Yes..i think it would be ok for a shorter person.
My sincerest apologies. I wasn’t trying to bad mouth a jacket you’re trying to sell. Just stating an issue I have with the length that Platon makes his jackets . BTW May I suggest that you place this post in the Sale Section as it will get more viewers and potential buyers in that thread as opposed to this one .
Cheers

ausreenactor

I have this beautiful jacket for sale. Purchased from a collector on the fedora lounge. Brand new. Platon JA Dubow. Russet HH. Only tried on. I’m new here so I guess I can’t post in buy/sell for some reason. Labeled size 44 but fits small. I’m 6 ft 190 lbs. pit to pit 22.5, sleeves 25 in. Back length 24, shoulders 18 in. Asking $575 American, or $725 Canadian.
Very nice and a great price!

Silver Surfer

opinion...such as it is. Platon, Chappy, aero, elc, etc, all had-have originals in their collections, and when starting out almost all of these makers used their originals as templates for their repros. the thing is, most of these repro makers did not take into account shrinkage. that is to say they based their repros on original jackets that shrank disproportionately, such as shorter sleeves, backs that are short, etc. Chappy has obviously corrected his patterns to address this, as has elc, and aero. Platon has recently addressed the issue as well. best as I can figure, the a-2 was by design rather simple in its proportions, ie: size 40- 22" pit to pit, 22" front length, 22 back length from the collar seam to bottom of leather [not including the waistband], 22" sleeves from the shoulder seam to end of leather [not including the cuffs]. this kinda pattern is easy to translate up and down. yes, there were some variations between original makers, but not a whole lot.

Last edited:

Southoftheborder

opinion...such as it is. Platon, Chappy, aero, elc, etc, all had-have originals in their collections, and when starting out almost all of these makers used their originals as templates for their repros. the thing is, most of these repro makers did not take into account shrinkage. that is to say they based their repros on original jackets that shrank disproportionately, such as shorter sleeves, backs that are short, etc. Chappy has obviously corrected his patterns to address this, as has elc, and aero. Platon has recently addressed the issue as well. best as I can figure, the a-2 was by design rather simple in its proportions, ie: size 40- 22" pit to pit, 22" front length, 22 back length from the collar seam to bottom of leather [not including the waistband], 22" sleeves from the shoulder seam to end of leather [not including the cuffs]. this kinda pattern is easy to translate up and down. yes, there were some variations between original makers, but not a whole lot.
Do you think it might be a way of making the hides go further? A skilled cutter can do wonders by knocking the odd inch off here and there. Whenever I bought a made for me jacket from one place it was always a bit smaller than specified everywhere. They would point out on the site that the tolerances were about half an inch and they couldn't be more accurate with leather etc. But I don't ever remember getting one that was longer or bigger anywhere. Always shorter and smaller.

B-Man2

Do you think it might be a way of making the hides go further? A skilled cutter can do wonders by knocking the odd inch off here and there. Whenever I bought a made for me jacket from one place it was always a bit smaller than specified everywhere. They would point out on the site that the tolerances were about half an inch and they couldn't be more accurate with leather etc. But I don't ever remember getting one that was longer or bigger anywhere. Always shorter and smaller.
I think you’re spot on with this comment . I had a DuBow from Platon that was a size 48, and it fit like a tight 46 and had a 25 inch back length. That’s definitely on the short side even for an original size 48 that may have shrunk a bit over the years .

Micawber

Crikey, for sale ads popping up all over the place now. Whatever happened to keeping for sale and wanted adverts to the appropriate section?

Chandler

I would gladly post it in the buy and sell but for some reason it says I don’t have priviledges,which I mentioned in the op, even tho I can post in every other category.
Your account must be 90 days old and you must have, at least, 25 posts before you can post in the Buy & Sell forum (long stipulation paragraph at the top of the B&S forum).

It's sort of a failsafe that you're serious about being a VFJ member, adding to the community, and not just jumping in for quick sales.

Drzdave1958

Your account must be 90 days old and you must have, at least, 25 posts before you can post in the Buy & Sell forum (long stipulation paragraph at the top of the B&S forum).

It's sort of a failsafe that you're serious about being a VFJ member, adding to the community, and not just jumping in for quick sales.
My bad for not reading that.thx