• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Deep in the Sheep: or How Much Fleece Is Too Much?

zoomer

I ask because I just acquired an Aero B-3 whose shearling is uniformly 3/4" deep all around - including inside the sleeves, where it constricts the fit noticeably (and I've got arms like toothpicks!).

How do you like your fleece? Anyone ever have to have theirs shaved back a bit? How'd you manage that?

And, of course, how did the military contractors do theirs? Did they ever vary the depth at points, or was that up to the end users?

John Lever

Paul,
The fleece should be shorter in the arms and windflap. I have a custom Few M445 made from 20 mm wool and it really feels tight under the arm pits.
Why not do a Bevan and shave the arms with a dog grooming shaver ?

zoomer

Hmm - I guess if I have a guard on so I can't go below, say, 3/8" it could work.
I'll ask my doggie-owned neighbors if they have one - or go to a groomer :mrgreen:

fishmeok

Dog clippers w/a guard, but make sure they are SHARP. It does make one feel a bit daft though, shaving your jacket. Makes the cat look at you funny.

Aren't the cuffs and waist on a B-3 supposed to be 1/4" or something like that?

Cheers
Mark

rich

[quote
Aren't the cuffs and waist on a B-3 supposed to be 1/4" or something like that?
Cheers
Mark[/quote]

Aero agree with you Mark, from their website - "We also use the spec weight, shorter shearling for the cuffs, waistbands and windflap."

John Lever

Aero make very well constructed jackets but I think they could be wrong this time about fleece depth. Their forte is M/C gear.

MikeyB-17

Depends how old your Aero is-they used to use a uniform fleece depth for the whole jacket, including the cuffs, which thus were excessively tight and looked daft. Eventually they got the message and started using shorter fleece for the cuffs. My Aero B-3, sadly missed, had thinner shearling for the cuffs and was quite comfortable.

flyboy

My Irvin from Aero has very thick fleece - not only inside at the body but also the collar.
Don't know if I dare to shave it down with my beard trimmer though... :eek:
Anybody tried that, with a good result?
Or should I just wait till the fleece sort of "lies down" by itself and heavy usage...?

Geir

I have two duotone B-3 repros, one by Aero and one by Eastman. The fleece is longer on the Aero which makes this jacket less comfortable, but a lot warmer. The Eastman is more comfortable (it is also one size bigger, a 46 as opposed to a 44, but when it is cold I need a woollen sweater underneath. So I guess the question is what kind of cold do you need protection against? What I would never do is buy an Aero B-3 and start shaving the fleece.

269sqnhudson

Geir said:
I have two duotone B-3 repros, one by Aero and one by Eastman. The fleece is longer on the Aero which makes this jacket less comfortable, but a lot warmer. The Eastman is more comfortable (it is also one size bigger, a 46 as opposed to a 44, but when it is cold I need a woollen sweater underneath. So I guess the question is what kind of cold do you need protection against? What I would never do is buy an Aero B-3 and start shaving the fleece.

I agree. I can just picture my girlfriend coming home to find me shaving my fleece. I think she'd quietly pack a bag. It's a bit odd isn't it? Sounds technically feasible but also what would a WWII airman think? Hmmm my crewmate is shaving his fleece....hmmm.

I reckon you should wear it and see how it breaks in. I'm the same with hot water treatment, it's a bit too weird isn't it? :twisted:

Geir

That's the good thing about wives and girlfriends — they make you think and stop before you go all weird. One of the cuffs on my Aero B-3 has longer fleece than the other, so I showed it to The Wife and told her I would fix it in no time with a pair of scissors. She told me to leave it the way it is since no one will notice (unless they are neurotic). And since I completely destroyed a Willis and Geiger A2 repro with a form of hot water treatment a few years ago, I took her advice as I had decided that I would behave like a normal person after that experience.

zoomer

269sqnhudson said:
Geir said:
I can just picture my girlfriend coming home to find me shaving my fleece. I think she'd quietly pack a bag. It's a bit odd isn't it? Sounds technically feasible but also what would a WWII airman think? Hmmm my crewmate is shaving his fleece....
...because he CAN'T HARDLY BEND HIS F#¢!!ING ARMS?
An airman's life depended on his crewmate being able to do such things. Today it may just be quality of life (while in the jacket). But still.

Tracks in the fleece, OTOH, are not worth worrying about unless you plan to "collect" the thing rather than wear it.

I reckon you should wear it and see how it breaks in. I'm the same with hot water treatment, it's a bit too weird isn't it? :twisted:
It's worked for me. Hot dryer treatment too. Haven't had a jacket yet that wasn't easier to break in after a wet and dry.