• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dare I ? Will it make a difference?

jacketimp

srivats said:
I exactly know the smell you are talking about. The test jacket that John sent me had that smell too ... enough that it bothered me, but not so much to make me hate it. I don't know how bad your jacket had it, I hope its mostly gone after the wash - and hey, you probably got some grain come out becase of the water treatement! Please keep us posted as to what happens in the future.

srivats...........can you describe what yours smell like........just to get an idea........

srivats

^ Imp, to make sure we are on the same page, I am NOT talking about my goatskin doniger. That jacket is perfect in all aspects.

JC had sent me (for sizing) a HH aero test jacket he had made and it had a slightly weird. musty smell - I just presumed it was the HH odour. However, I have since then had the chance to see other HH jackets and they were pretty normal. After reading this post something clicked in my head and I perfectly understand what the OP says ... and to be honest, the test jacket did not smell overly - but enough that I could notice it.

Roughwear

I agree about the smell of John's HH jackets. My RW 27752 had the "smell", but the Doniger did not. It does fade with time though.

jacketimp

srivats said:
^ Imp, to make sure we are on the same page, I am NOT talking about my goatskin doniger. That jacket is perfect in all aspects.

JC had sent me (for sizing) a HH aero test jacket he had made and it had a slightly weird. musty smell - I just presumed it was the HH odour. However, I have since then had the chance to see other HH jackets and they were pretty normal. After reading this post something clicked in my head and I perfectly understand what the OP says ... and to be honest, the test jacket did not smell overly - but enough that I could notice it.

ok consensus ad idum........

yes srivats.....from yur pics your doni is puuuuuuurfect.

Tim P

the washing process got rid of most of the smell but left areas of scuffing down to bare leather and left the jacket very dry. I would not reccomend this.
however, as I have been keen to own a jacket with a redye look about it i set about using a nice seal brown dye, applied with a brush and worked in so that those areas of natural wear would have a thinner coat I have a jacket that you can put your nose up to, in a deep seal that I was so keen to have, with all the goodwear character built in. I cannot post pictures due to limitations with my poor computer. suffice to say it doesnt smell, it is the colour I really wanted (although it was not earmarked to be) and it is ready now I think for a decal and name tape. maybe a sqn patch too...

jacketimp

Tim P said:
the washing process got rid of most of the smell but left areas of scuffing down to bare leather and left the jacket very dry. I would not reccomend this.
however, as I have been keen to own a jacket with a redye look about it i set about using a nice seal brown dye, applied with a brush and worked in so that those areas of natural wear would have a thinner coat I have a jacket that you can put your nose up to, in a deep seal that I was so keen to have, with all the goodwear character built in. I cannot post pictures due to limitations with my poor computer. suffice to say it doesnt smell, it is the colour I really wanted (although it was not earmarked to be) and it is ready now I think for a decal and name tape. maybe a sqn patch too...

a happy ending, tim?

Andrew

Tim P said:

Sounds really interesting Tim, shame you can't post pics- do you have any? If you do someone else can help- send them over. I'd love to know what it looked like pre-dyeing.

Mine also has the smell, I commented about it on TFL a few months ago (commented on how JC managed to get a vintage smell as well) after my Wife had banished the jacket to the garage :lol:. It's since been in the robe for the last 3 months and it appears to be a bit better but I have to admit I much prefer the smell of RMNZ. I assume it's the type of dye or tanning process used.

CBI

I have a pretty good nose for odors but have never noticed anything more than a mild leather smell on my GW's, nothing out of the ordinary (Goats and HH's). I am not doubting anyone, I have just not encountered it.

Cobblers161

Hey Tim, as you've had some success with the re-dyeing process would you mind awfully, if you have the time, writing a quick step by step in the How To section?

Cheers!