• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dare I ? Will it make a difference?

Tim P

had my Goodwear 27753 for a few weeks now and love it though I do, the odour of it is getting on my wick. whether in a wardrobe or out to air in a room it will fill that room with an odour which isnt particularly 'leathery' like some jackets. Some people may find it pleasant, I have to say I really dont.
Hopes for it to fade anytime soon are waning and I am not appreciative of how it clings to other clothes I have. thankfully the other half is not around to smell it as her sense of smell is like a bloodhound and she would not take kindly to stinky rooms. I have had to use shake and vac and air out the back bedroom today as well as using wipes to wipe down the inside surfaces of the wardrobe.
So my options are
1. put up with it. Hope that it reduces in the future. input on any steps that would lessen it would be gratefully recieved.
2 Sell it or trade it for a nice mccoys or eastman A2/ M422a or a Buzz B15b or L2
3. do something about it.
So, what would happen to the odour if I were to give it a wash in the washing machine? can I add anything to remove or lessen it ..more to the point what would happen to the machine? I am happy that the jacket will not be harmed.
any ideas?
Tim

jacketimp

Tim P said:
thankfully not like that no....

tim

if the smell bothers you you have a choice of selling or remedying it.

if you sell .....waht if the smell offend the new keeper and he wants a return.......

i don't think other gw owners have the same prob, from their postings fo far....

could it be your imagination.......no i'm not taking the mick........it could be that you're scent-sensitive

Tim P

could be, I have never had a problem with any other repro leathers though, an original aero I had stank to high heaven of tobacco and mothballs, unbearably so and I had to hand wash that. It did help immensely although I was paranoid as it dried, once it did 2 light coats of pecards and it was good to go.
Maybe a wash with detergent would help this too.?.

havocpaul

Puzzling as to why it should smell so bad, however, I would personally try airing it outdoors if possible rather than trying to clean/wash it which from experience doesn't always keep the original odour away. I have only experienced bad smells from original/vintage jackets so this is a new one on me, have you asked John if it was any hide treatment used?

jacketimp

Tim P said:
could be, I have never had a problem with any other repro leathers though, an original aero I had stank to high heaven of tobacco and mothballs, unbearably so and I had to hand wash that. It did help immensely although I was paranoid as it dried, once it did 2 light coats of pecards and it was good to go.
Maybe a wash with detergent would help this too.?.

at least it wasn't original shearling trousers........heard they stank of urine......sniffff snifffff

Cobblers161

Air it and wear it.

Give it a week or 2 and it'll have gone. Mine was the same, kind of a curry-ish aroma which I'm assuming comes from the spray treatment. Just DON'T PANIC, it's perfectly normal.

rumblefish

I've had my Goodwear Doniger just under a year now. The smell described came with it, but it is long gone now. I kinda miss it.

Tim P

well I took the bull by the horns and gave it a damn good hand wash in washing powder and hand hot water. the resultant mess was akin to long stewed tea and I rinsed until it was the colour of white wine. It is hung up now dripping until it is damp enough so that I can wear it. I have to say that the odour is only now detectable if you put your nose really close.
I am normally a fan of normal wear and tear but I didnt want the smell invading the house any more and this will give me a chance to do all the good hot water stuff that people enthuse about. I am going to put a light fleece on under it to keep the wet feeling off me and then go for a walk and flex. I will probably get locked up (it is dark though so I should be ok)
Drastic measures I know but I believe better duck gave his new GW a bit of water treatment. This is just more severe , better (for me at least) than losing my patience and selling a great jacket.

SuinBruin

I know the smell you mean -- kind of an acrid, organic, sharp smell. I asked John about it and he told me it was from the tanning process. He also said that some original A2s had -- and continue to have! -- a similar odor.

My GW HH Perry still smells a bit, though it has dropped off since I first got it. At first it bothered me, but now I kind of like it. It's distinctive and, at least to me, relates to the history behind the garment and the materials that go into making it.

Tim P

sat here now in the now damp goodwear. it still smells but it is a pleasant background odour and there is nice moulding going on as I type.
great. :D

Curahee

SuinBruin said:
I know the smell you mean -- kind of an acrid, organic, sharp smell. I asked John about it and he told me it was from the tanning process. He also said that some original A2s had -- and continue to have! -- a similar odor.

My GW HH Perry still smells a bit, though it has dropped off since I first got it. At first it bothered me, but now I kind of like it. It's distinctive and, at least to me, relates to the history behind the garment and the materials that go into making it.

So....do I understand you corectly that your jacket even smells like 1942 out of a box ? :lol: that's just too weird.

better duck

Tim, having taken the plunge and having plunged your jacket in the washing tub, I can only hope it is fixed now.
Now as to what caused it, take a look at the article on "Aniline" in the Wikipedia, first three lines: this seems to explain a lot (although not why some jackets smell to high heaven, and others apparently don't, or their owners have less sensitive olfactory faculties ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aniline

jacketimp

Curahee said:
SuinBruin said:

So....do I understand you corectly that your jacket even smells like 1942 out of a box ? :lol: that's just too weird.

why not...........you got the jacket........let authenticate the smell as well.........the ultimate repro comes with the ultimate reolicated smell............AT NO EXTRA COST.......now beat that you other repro makers!!

viva la gw

jacketimp

jacketimp said:
Curahee said:
SuinBruin said:

all in the name of authenticity.........all together now...........let's sniffffff

jacketimp

Tim P said:
sat here now in the now damp goodwear. it still smells but it is a pleasant background odour and there is nice moulding going on as I type.
great. :D

don't catch a cold now............atchooooooooo

mould as in fungus thru damp underwear??

sorry i mean to say goodwear

srivats

I exactly know the smell you are talking about. The test jacket that John sent me had that smell too ... enough that it bothered me, but not so much to make me hate it. I don't know how bad your jacket had it, I hope its mostly gone after the wash - and hey, you probably got some grain come out becase of the water treatement! Please keep us posted as to what happens in the future.