• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dad's AN 5740 Pocket Watch

Atticus

Some of you may already know that I had to put my father in a nursing home. Today I was going through some of his things, and I found this. When I was a kid, he told me it was the watch he carried from flight school onward throughout his service in the AAF.

On the back, I can make out..."AN 5740" and "Hamilton Watch Co." There's also a part number and contract code.

Can anyone here tell me anything more about it? Oh yeah....it is running right now as I type this.

sweetsnowyday001.jpg

sweetsnowyday005.jpg

AF

watchmanjimg

Re: Dad's WWII Watch

Geoff:

That appears to be a "Navigational Master Watch" used by the AAF and indicating time in a 24-hour format. The watch probably has a high-grade 4992B movement with 22 jewels. It was intended to be set to Greenwich Civil Time, hence the "G.C.T." script on the dial. When used aboard aircraft they were sometimes placed in a cylindrical metal protective case featuring a cradle isolated from vibration with springs.

In any event it's a nice watch and the provenance couldn't be better. I've actually been bitten rather severely by the pocket watch bug of late and am looking around for a nice WW2 example.

Best wishes for your father. My girlfriend's dad recently went into a home and I've seen how tough it is for the family.

Andrew

What a great thing to find after all this time Geoff, I suppose there's a flipside to the difficult job you're having to do. We are nearing that point also.

Very interesting face.

I have my Grandpa's watch, a bit older and keywound but priceless to me.

IMG_0046.jpg

TankBuster

Nice watch! Jim nailed it. To give you an idea on value, they normally sell in the $300-$450 range in nice running condition.

Weasel_Loader

Geoff,

My father is huge antique clock collector and restorer. He does antique watches also. I emailed him to see what he had to say. Here is what he knows.

A very fine pocket watch used by aerial navigators during WWII and later. The watch by Hamilton is a model 4992b. Actually a model 992b railroad engineer's high quality watch but with a 24 hour dial and center seconds feature.

Many have been "parted-out" to maintain the 992b's which normally sell for around $500 if in a fine case. The navigator's watch is cased in a plain nickel case while the RR quality 992b is usually in a "rolled-gold" case or if in 14kt, well you know the price of gold.

In the past 5-10 years there is an increased demand for the 4992b by military watch collectors. Your uncle Bob "snatched" one off a B24 that was being scrapped.

I believe Jim had it right first though. ;)

Atticus

Thanks for the info, folks. I'm going to get a glass pocket watch case for it, today. Then it will sit, front and center, on my mantle.... along with my grandfather's and great-grandfather's pocket watches.

AF

Atticus,

That is indeed a Hamilton 4992B wartime watch. Super special coming from your dad, I know.

Anything at all you want to know about it (date from serial number, etc.) can be gotten from the guys over at the NAWCC board. They live and breathe pocket watches...especially Hamiltons.

I recall an old watchmaker in Boone telling me years ago that you couldn't really beat a Hamilton. Very wise words...

http://mb.nawcc.org/

Here's one of mine.

standard.jpg

handworn

You might look around on eBay for the period-correct carrying case. A couple of retail-price-disguised-as-an-auction examples are here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/WW2-US-ARMY-AIR-COR ... 335a62af45

which includes another example of the watch itself, of course, and here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/US-ARMY-WWII-NAVIGA ... 335ab07e9a

I've seen the case (by itself) bring less than $50 on eBay.

Atticus said:
Thanks for the info, folks. I'm going to get a glass pocket watch case for it, today. Then it will sit, front and center, on my mantle.... along with my grandfather's and great-grandfather's pocket watches.

AF

USMC_GAU-21

Geoff,

Beautiful watch. I will have you and your dad in my prayers as I now it must be difficult. Just think of the three generations of watches you have on your mantle. ;)

It is really a beautiful piece of American history. Hold onto it and I hope your Dad is ok. be well my friend.

r/Dan

siddhartha

Administrator
Beautiful watch!

I know next to nothing about pocket watches-I have my great grandfather's as well (Tavannes) which I need to have cleaned.

I hope you get the proper WWII case for it-would nicely complement the watch

Chris