• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

D-2? Looks very strange.

kevlarg

I've seen one of these on ebay before. I have no idea what it is. Maybe for the troops in the Alutians?

Tim P

now I may be wrong but I have always believed it to be the liner for the mechanics D-1 Parka.

MikeyB-17

There are more things in Heaven and Earth and USAAF equipment catalogues than we have knowledge of. Bet there's all sorts of things like this lurking out there that we've never heard of.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Hawkeye said:
Can anyone tell me what this strange garment is?

It's a 1944 OD, alpaca lined, Mechanic's, Arctic jacket, issued to ground crew, along with the B-2 trousers.

Strangely, the eBay seller only depicts it inside out.

Peter Graham

Tim P said:
now I may be wrong but I have always believed it to be the liner for the mechanics D-1 Parka.
The D-1 is a shearling jacket, not a parka. Dave is right, The D-2 is an OD cotton, alpaca lined jacket designed to replace the D-1. That's a rare jacket. Either the seller thinks that's the outside or they have something to hide.

Peter Graham

Hawkeye said:
sold for 61.00. If its really as rare as you say it is then someone got a good buy.
Not really. All they got was the lining. I spoke to the seller about this. That's all there is.