• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

D-1 Jacket ID please?

Dumpster D

Hi everyone,

Was just hoping to date this Jacket if possible, please.

Interested to hear what your thoughts are. Wondering what 'Mitin' is exactly?

Hope this photo is enough to read the tag by?

Would be interested to learn more about the maker. If anyone knows some of the history?

Ok, thank you very much!!

unnamed-5.jpg
unnamed-6.jpg
unnamed-4.jpg

MikeyB-17

Well, they put the label in, because wartime jackets had it. Do they actually use the treatment? Not sure if a WWII moth treatment is something I’d want on a jacket-probably got all sorts of noxious chemicals in that have been banned by now. But I dunno. As John says, WWII D-1 ground crew jacket. Somebody put it on a hanger, and the resulting damage has been patched. A cautionary tale! Don’t know what the snaps by the zip are for, they wouldn’t have been there originally.

MikeyB-17

Actually there’s a pretty much identical jacket in ’Suit up!’, complete with Mitin label. That one has a chevron Crown main zip and the pocket zips look like Talons. I still don’t know anything about the manufacturer. Other companies made D-1’s etc. who didn’t have A-2 contracts.
7CC1AA85-1357-4861-AD75-650045F338F7.jpeg
19CBADDE-5051-4409-973A-6A44989AFEE4.jpeg
EFC84D44-DFCB-4736-9568-42F4900B68F9.jpeg

MikeyB-17

Last edited:

Dumpster D

'Mitin' is a post war Anti-mothing agent? My guess was wrong, my friend was correct...I suspected waterproofing treatment.

So 'mothballing' these jackets post war, I guess for long-term storage?

Don't recall seeing a 'Western leather' Tag on any sheepskin stuff before.

Last edited:

John Lever

I once had a Western Leather D1 in ex large. Isn't Suit Up a Japanese book ? The Japanese seem to use Mitin on all sheepskins so it would make sense that an old jacket would be treated against moths.
Would there be much point moth treating a jacket during WW2 ?

MikeyB-17

Yeah ‘Suit up!’ is Japanese. I’d always assumed Mitin was a wartime treatment, having seen the label on the likes of RMC jackets I thought they were just reproducing what a wartime jacket might have had. You’re quite right though, John, I highly doubt that the AAF, or indeed the blokes that wore them, gave a monkey’s about moths. ‘Sergeant, my jacket has moth holes!’ ‘Oh yeah Mac? You’re lucky they’re not bullet holes!’ So I guess the treatment, and the label, have been applied post-war.