• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CWU 45p V B15

USMC_GAU-21

I would say that the 45P is warmer and it is a little thicker. the fit on the B15 is a little tight, so if you want to wear anything other then a regular shirt under a B15 you had better get a bigger size. IMHO.

With a CWU-45P, you can fit a shirt, turtleneck under it with no problem in the size you are. (Med, Lrg, XL, XXL etc)

The 45P just fits nice.

don't get me wrong I like my B15, but I always seem to grab the 45P when I run out.

r/Gy Dan

watchmanjimg

This is an interesting question. Which B-15 are we talking about here? I have no experience with the early wool/alpaca-lined models, but I'd be surprised if the CWU-45 is warmer than nylon B-15 variants interlined with double-sided pile (like their MA-1 successors through the E model). I guess I haven't worn my CWU-45s a whole lot here in Florida, but I've worn a lot of MA-1s and the later F model with its polyester batting doesn't hold a candle to the pile-interlined versions.

USMC_GAU-21

I have both MA-1 wool lined, poly lined, and a 45/P issued to me and I think the 45/P is much warmer here in Maryland winters, and when I was in Norway and Kosovo.

My Nylon B15, is also very warm, but I still think not as warm as my 45/P. Just my opinion. I flew with both the 36/P & 45/P in the Marine Corps and in helicopters we fly with doors open and it is cold.

But interested in what others feel.

r/DRH

A

Anonymous

That's a curious question. It's a bit like asking which is warmer, an Irvin or an N-3B ?

Are you trying to decide which one to buy ? Because there's more to these jackets than warmth. They are so completely different in appearance.

Or are you trying to see if time hasn't made things better ? Coz it has If I were flying I'd want Nomex !!

Just curious why you pose such a question really. :?

Dave

I was trying , as you sugested , to see if technology had moved on.

I would expect the CWU 45/P to be not so bulky and lighter whilst still retaining the same thermal qualities of the B15

rich

I was trying , as you sugested , to see if technology had moved on.

I would expect the CWU 45/P to be not so bulky and lighter whilst still retaining the same thermal qualities of the B15

I'm surprised by the lack of bulk in the CWU-45 Johnny, but have yet to test it - round about now might be a good time! My B-15C is a Buzz repro, but IF it's accurate, it feels much heavier and a lot more substantial. I guess I need more faith in the technology of modern fabrics?
I sometimes think I'd have been disappointed with the warmth offered by an L-2 if I'd been used to an A2, yet aren't they supposed to have the same thermal quality? But again, they were meant for use by those up there and not for the likes of me down here.....

A

Anonymous

The original B-15 is still technically a nylon flight jacket, no ? Certainly it's a LOT lighter than the B-15Cs. The alpaca is light and very flexible and it is a great jacket for driving / flying as well as poncing about town.

The other advantage compared to the CWU series jacket (much as I love 'em and own 2) is that folk who want to take the piss call you Tom Cruise !!

Dave

Peter Graham

JACKET_ HEAD said:
The original B-15 is still technically a nylon flight jacket, no ?
No, it's made of treated cotton unless you count the scarce "Endzone twill" contracts which were a cotton/nylon blend.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Peter Graham said:
No, it's made of treated cotton unless you count the scarce "Endzone twill" contracts which were a cotton/nylon blend.

Even endzone twill is cotton like ... I believe it's a cotton/rayon mix.

A

Anonymous

johnny english said:
I thought Tom had a G1 ?

Tom did Johnny. BUT alas the plebiate believe anyone who looks vaguely pilot-ish must be a TC wannabe .............. They don't have our OCD eye for detail !

I still think my B-15 is a man-made material Peter. :D The only thing 'natural' on it is the knits.
I agree that subsequent versions are very definately what we call 'nylon' but the original post referred to CWU 45/p Vs B-15. No mod' letter ......... and I still think that the first model was the most comfortable and lightest. Just my opinion.

Dave

A

Anonymous

Peter,
I have an original and an Eastman. It has to be said that the Eastman is more synthetic-ish than the original but the B-15's are definately not the same cloth as the B-10 which I think of as a true cloth jacket.

But remember that the original post was 'Vs B-15' and Johnny didn't put a model letter by it. The first model is very different to the subsequent 'nylon' models in weight, flexibility etc .........

Now when aer you gonna put some of your racing photos on the Moto / Utility page ?? :)

Dave

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
JACKET_ HEAD said:
The original B-15 is still technically a nylon flight jacket, no ? .....

..... I have an original and an Eastman. It has to be said that the Eastman is more synthetic-ish than the original but the B-15's are definately not the same cloth as the B-10 which I think of as a true cloth jacket

Dave, the B-10, and the B-15 are not necessarily the same cloth, but they should be similar, and certainly not nylon-like. Even endzone will still feel like cotton with a bit of a sheen, and it's not synthetic.

Peter Graham

JACKET_ HEAD said:
Peter,
I have an original and an Eastman. It has to be said that the Eastman is more synthetic-ish than the original but the B-15's are definately not the same cloth as the B-10 which I think of as a true cloth jacket.
Now when aer you gonna put some of your racing photos on the Moto / Utility page ?? :)
Dave, you're right. They are not the same cloth. The B-15 has a finer weave to it which is more shiny and the weather treatment also gives a sheen but I don't think it's synthetic. The ELC is an "endzone" contract, is it not, which gives the more synthetic impression. Re the photos. That's a good idea but it might take a while. I'm in mid house move and my photos are spread far and wide but I will do it.