• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CWU-45 Question

greyhound52

Just got an original CWU-45 in excellent condition with the back pleats. However, the spec tag is missing. Does anyone know when they stopped making this jacket with the back pleats? I have a 1984 version and it doesn't have it. I have seen in the Suit Up book the CWU-45 from the 70s with them. Just wondering the date range for this jacket. Paid 50 bucks so think I got a good deal.

watchmanjimg

George, I'm not 100% sure of the exact dates but there are two versions of the 45 with bi-swing backs. Does it have the inner pocket, or the Velcro strips to attach it? If so, it's the first pattern that came out in the mid-'70s. Otherwise it's a bit more recent, but obviously prior to 1984.

greyhound52

watchmanjimg said:
George, I'm not 100% sure of the exact dates but there are two versions of the 45 with bi-swing backs. Does it have the inner pocket, or the Velcro strips to attach it? If so, it's the first pattern that came out in the mid-'70s. Otherwise it's a bit more recent, but obviously prior to 1984.

Nope no inner pocket. Saw a 1983 model on ebay and no pleats so narrowing the range down a bit.

TCWU after closer examination it is even in better condition than I thought. Looks like it didn't get a lot of wear. Better shape than my 84 version. So think I did ok.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Suit Up notes MIL-J-83388A (AME/STD. 1977 DETACHABLE POCKET REDUCED.)

MIL-J-83388C (STD APR 02. 1982 ACTION PLEATS REDUCED.)

Perhaps reduced means deleted.

greyhound52

I checked Suit Up and saw a picture of the pleats reduced which is very different from the full size pleats I have. Suit Up mentioned that the windflap was notched on the "B" model. So this is most likely the B model which was produced in 1980.

MikeyB-17

I sold mine before Xmas and wish I didn't have to. I missed out on one the other day that went for $45. I've seen them go for a fair bit, and I've seen them go for peanuts-I paid $24 for the one I had.
Yeah, 'reduced' is 'deleted' in 'Suit Up!' I think '82 is the date they went-amid concerns they would snag on the cockpit upon ejection I believe.

Atticus

I almost hate to say this, but I bought a first edition CWU-45P last year. It is missing its spec tag, but it has the velcro strips inside, a Serval zipper and a pleated back. Other than a CWU-36P that I bought years ago from a small, expatriated American living in Spain, it is now my most worn CWU jacket.

This is the part of the story that I hate to tell: I was the only bidder and paid only 99 cents plus shipping. Well, even a blind hog occasionally finds an acorn.

AF

greyhound52

Atticus said:
I almost hate to say this, but I bought a first edition CWU-45P last year. It is missing its spec tag, but it has the velcro strips inside, a Serval zipper and a pleated back. Other than a CWU-36P that I bought years ago from a small, expatriated American living in Spain, it is now my most worn CWU jacket.

This is the part of the story that I hate to tell: I was the only bidder and paid only 99 cents plus shipping. Well, even a blind hog occasionally finds an acorn.

AF

AF why do you hate to tell that part I think that is great. All the times I have sold jackets for less than I paid for them to get a deal like I got and your deal it is time to celebrate :D

Atticus

greyhound52 said:
AF why do you hate to tell that part I think that is great....

Hi George,

I always worry that talking too much about getting too good of deal in some past transaction will result in me getting too very screwed in some future transaction.

Karma's a bytch. :|

AF

greyhound52

Atticus said:
greyhound52 said:
AF why do you hate to tell that part I think that is great....

Hi George,

I always worry that talking too much about getting too good of deal in some past transaction will result in me getting too very screwed in some future transaction.

Karma's a bytch. :|

AF

I hear you ;)

jack aranda

Hi, all:
I noticed several references to "Suit Up" in this thread so I Googled around and found it is a book very hard to come by. From the comments made here this appears to be a highly authoritative source for data on flight jackets of all sorts. True/False? :?: If so, are there copies floating around in the forum available, and, if so, at what price? Thanks for any information you can pass along.

jack aranda

Thanks, tcwu, David:
I chased your link, David and the book looks great! I know I'll have to have a copy. As 'betterduck' said, "I wish I could read Japanese." Given the language barrier, is it still possible to follow the evolution and development of the various lines of flight jacket through the photos?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
jack aranda said:
Given the language barrier, is it still possible to follow the evolution and development of the various lines of flight jacket through the photos?

Usually yes ... there are many photos, and some charts in English. I find Full Gear to be a better, more accurate, resource, but it's more expensive.

http://www.fullgear.net/index

Best value is John Chapman's CD, and it's in English.

http://home.comcast.net/~jchapman2004/ebay.html