• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CWU-36/P

FlyingYankee

Found this at the local flea market in a box of dirty clothes. Just got it back from the dry cleaners today. Can you give me some history on these jackets?
232323232%7Ffp635%3B7%3Enu%3D674%3A%3E%3A95%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D35757%3B%3C47634%3Anu0mrj

Rutger

Have you done a search (either here or on the net) yet?
The CWU36 and winter version 45 have been discussed a couple of times over here before.

36 superseded the L2B, 45 replaced the MA-1, starting in the early seventies.
36 and 45 are made of fire-resisant nomex and include kevlar for strength and a small percentage of some fiber to prevent build-up of static electricity, whereas their predecessors are made of highly meltable static electricity creating ordinary nylon.
36 and 45 are also in the Navy, L2B and MA-1 never were.

Commercial versions of ordinary nylon are also being made, up to and including the high-end Japanese repro. Never understood why, as the real thing is available new with tags on a regular basis.

The tag should tell the material it's made of (and when made by who).

Was green velcro available right from the start? I know black velcro was being used as well.

The sleeves look a tad on the short side.
Tuck in that shirt ;) and wear with a pair of jeans.

Tag sizes aren't always consistent with real size, even if they already do cover 2 points on the scale (40-42, 42-44,44-46 etc.)

MikeyB-17

Does it have a label? Also can't see the back-the earlier models had a bi-swing back which was stopped in the early eighties (it was 1982 for the 45/P) as they were afraid it would snag on the cockpit during ejection. The bi-swing versions are more sought after (I still haven't found a bi-swing 36/P in my size). Great jackets, my favourite of the cloth ones.

FlyingYankee

Okay I'm out of my jammies now. Jacket is made by Centre MFG Co. size is large.Has a totally diferent feel than my leather jackets. Got it for 10 dollars and was worth it after the cleaning.

FlyingYankee

It's a cool day in New England today and the Jacket seems just right, no bi-fold back. I added my patch and overall like the feel of this light weight material.
232323232%7Ffp73497%3Enu%3D674%3A%3E%3A95%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D3575%3A3726434%3Anu0mrj

Phantomfixer

Broken in 36/Ps are great! new ones are kinda stiff at first. A nice light weight jacket. good find and can even be worn with PJs....

FlyingYankee

It's hard to believe 10 dollar jacket with a 12 dry cleaning can be so nice. We weather grounded today so I ditched the uniform and wore the CWU in the rainstorm.

Hobbstc

I'd love to find one in L. The army isn't issuing them anymore. We have new ACU pattern nomex. I hate it.

Nice find for $10. Looks like the one you have is an Air Force issue. The Navy does not wear rank on the shoulders. That is what the small square Velcro is for. The Navy is starting to phase them out as well. I literally wore the stitching out of the sleeves and the pockets. I was able to get one through the supply system before they are all gone. I don’t plan on wearing it much so I can keep it in good condition. The old one lasted ten years and almost 2000 flight hours, so I can’t complain.