• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Customizing your CWU (inspiration/patches)

PilatusPilot

Good day all!

I was wondering how any of you "decorate your cwu jackets? Ive had mine for a little over a year now, it used to be someone's jacket judging by the major ranks that came on the jacket when I got it off eBay. It also has velcro on each upper arm and on both chest sides, so I have 4 spots I can add velcro patches.

I was looking into making a squadron themed jacket, getting the wings nameplate in the correct colors and the correct patches on each arm (maybe vf-84 or vfa-31). But I feel bad wearing another squadrons patch on me especially that I'm Canadian.

So I guess I'm wondering how did you customize your CWU jackets, any patch suggestions? If you have pics I'd love to see em! If you have squadron themed jackets I would love to see them as well. All advice is welcome as usual!

Thanks all!

MauldinFan

20220205_142455-01.jpeg

I did up mine as a Royal Netherlands Air Force one, as I spent time in that country and did some artwork for them once. I always loved watching their F16s tearing around at low level over the countryside.
Even got a nameplate for the same squadron.

PilatusPilot

That looks beautiful!! May I ask you where you got that nameplate? I've been looking online but haven't found something definitive.

Beautiful colors on those patches! Looks awesome!

usafwso

Absolutely not, in my opinion. On occasion I will wear my old CWU-36, CWU-45 jackets but with the rank insignia removed and no patches on the velcro. After I retired, that was it - done. It is in bad taste to wear a patched jacket. These days wearing some of my reproduction Buzz Rickson's L-2B, B-15D jackets, am feeling a bit off with the USAF stencil. Do I have decorated/patched jackets in my collection? Yes, tons but would not be caught dead in public wearing any of those. Around here, there are a lot of active duty USAF types - fighter pilot types this being the "Home of the Fighter Pilot" and the few people, usually older guys wearing patched jackets that I see, makes them look as if they are a has been or poser. Not the look I want to project in public.

CBI

patches represent things EARNED. there are patching ceremonies now when pilots aircrew get assigned to squadrons. Top Gun and USAF Fighter Weapons Schools grads/instructors are referred to as "patch wearers" or just "patches". She's a "patch". They are awesome looking and I love them and used to wear jackets with patches on them sometimes, then I grew up. If you didn't earn it, don't wear it. Sorry. Yes I DO LOVE how they look.

I suppose someone could say the same for even wearing a flight jacket........................

Just IMO

ZuZu

Absolutely not, in my opinion. On occasion I will wear my old CWU-36, CWU-45 jackets but with the rank insignia removed and no patches on the velcro. After I retired, that was it - done. It is in bad taste to wear a patched jacket. These days wearing some of my reproduction Buzz Rickson's L-2B, B-15D jackets, am feeling a bit off with the USAF stencil. Do I have decorated/patched jackets in my collection? Yes, tons but would not be caught dead in public wearing any of those. Around here, there are a lot of active duty USAF types - fighter pilot types this being the "Home of the Fighter Pilot" and the few people, usually older guys wearing patched jackets that I see, makes them look as if they are a has been or poser. Not the look I want to project in public.
I am in agreement with you about even the meatball being a bit to much for me to wear out but my reasoning is simply that IMO the patches make the jackets look different in a way I don't like. Less utilitarian, more costumey. If I lived in fighter pilot country I wouldn't wear a current issue CWU type with patches on it but if I was so inclined I'd have no problem say wearing a full CBI A-2 with blood chit etc. No one's gonna mistake me for a WW2 vet even at age 69 and I don't think there's any disrespectful element to it. 99% of the people here wear this stuff 'cause they love it- for fun.

Living in Oakland (or anywhere for that matter) you just never want to wear a Hell's Angels patched jacket of any sort.

The Japanese do this sort of thing right- they love this stuff purely for its aesthetic value- a patched jacket becomes wearable art for its own sake.

ZuZu

patches represent things EARNED. there are patching ceremonies now when pilots aircrew get assigned to squadrons. Top Gun and USAF Fighter Weapons Schools grads/instructors are referred to as "patch wearers" or just "patches". She's a "patch". They are awesome looking and I love them and used to wear jackets with patches on them sometimes, then I grew up. If you didn't earn it, don't wear it. Sorry. Yes I DO LOVE how they look.

I suppose someone could say the same for even wearing a flight jacket........................

Just IMO
IMO if you love the way they look you should wear it! If you're uncomfortable with a "stolen valor" thing just don't wear have your name on the jacket. Remember- in the end we paid for all this stuff- with an almost 1 trillion dollar budget for the military!

bn1966

Funny old thing the patches thing. I like all mine sterile & can‘t wear anything patched due to the fact I wasn’t there (but each to their own). I have a number of repro early MA-1 jackets and I cover the sleeve donut with a bike club patch (one I am in). Sold a lovely original MA-1 that had service patches, couldn’t bring myself to remove them & couldn’t wear it out because of them :) Even with A-2’s I can’t abide anything on them….

bn1966

The MA-1 jacket has a long history in the UK with motor scooter culture & Rallies attended sell ‘patches’ which becomes parts of folks riding culture history and patches are sewn on their MA-1, it’s frowned upon to wear a patch from a rally you didn’t attend.

ZuZu

The MA-1 jacket has a long history in the UK with motor scooter culture & Rallies attended sell ‘patches’ which becomes parts of folks riding culture history and patches are sewn on their MA-1, it’s frowned upon to wear a patch from a rally you didn’t attend.
I got an obvious skinhead MA-1 on Ebay. I still have the "Kill a Commie for Christ" patch it came with. It was a nice Rolen.

MauldinFan

This is an age-old argument; between folks who have no issue wearing something like that, and those who feel that almost anything government-issued was 'earned'.
Knowing that generally, most people would have no issues for someone of any age wearing a single Allied item from WW2 as a 'fashion statement,' I don't see much difference between that and something that would have also been worn well outside their own lifetime (such as a MA-1 for most of us) that is slightly newer.
As a veteran myself, if I were to encounter someone wearing a field jacket with the patches of any unit I served in or with (I led a few independent detachments which were under another higher unit), I wouldn't give it a second thought. It's just a jacket.
Only if it were a complete current-issued uniform and the person was clearly trying to incorrectly pass themselves off as an active-duty military member, of said unit would I take any issue at all.
I have no idea if you actually get 'awarded' UNIT patches in the other services, but the only patches you get awarded in the Army are tabs you have to earn. Unit patches are not earned that I've ever seen, yet I often hear from those who don't know any better who think they are. I assure you all, I never had to do anything to wear any shoulder patch I wore on active duty other than being assigned to said unit.
All that said, that's why I went with a RNLAF jacket. I can't imagine running into a Dutch citizen here in the US taking issue with that, any more than I would have when I was in the Netherlands had I run into a Dutch civilian wearing a US one.
The whole thing always seemed like fodder for those sad people who live their lives desperately seeking things by which to be offended.

ZuZu

This is an age-old argument; between folks who have no issue wearing something like that, and those who feel that almost anything government-issued was 'earned'.
Knowing that generally, most people would have no issues for someone of any age wearing a single Allied item from WW2 as a 'fashion statement,' I don't see much difference between that and something that would have also been worn well outside their own lifetime (such as a MA-1 for most of us) that is slightly newer.
As a veteran myself, if I were to encounter someone wearing a field jacket with the patches of any unit I served in or with (I led a few independent detachments which were under another higher unit), I wouldn't give it a second thought. It's just a jacket.
Only if it were a complete current-issued uniform and the person was clearly trying to incorrectly pass themselves off as an active-duty military member, of said unit would I take any issue at all.
I have no idea if you actually get 'awarded' UNIT patches in the other services, but the only patches you get awarded in the Army are tabs you have to earn. Unit patches are not earned that I've ever seen, yet I often hear from those who don't know any better who think they are. I assure you all, I never had to do anything to wear any shoulder patch I wore on active duty other than being assigned to said unit.
All that said, that's why I went with a RNLAF jacket. I can't imagine running into a Dutch citizen here in the US taking issue with that, any more than I would have when I was in the Netherlands had I run into a Dutch civilian wearing a US one.
The whole thing always seemed like fodder for those sad people who live their lives desperately seeking things by which to be offended.
Wow- what a well laid out statement. Thanks.

Rutger

I have no problem walking around in the odd patched Buzz jacket. They are clearly flight jackets from yesteryear. I like flight jackets, I like what they represent, and no one will ever assume me to be a pilot when wearing a patched Buzz.
When wearing one of my CWU's (which is quite often) to an Air Force Base I never put on a patch, unless it happens to be some sort of commemorative patch. I would feel uneasy walking around with a Fighting Falcon patch on an Air Base, even though it might just be meant as an expression that I do like the F-16.
If other people do patch their CWU's I don't mind, as it is clearly enthusiasm that drives them. The rest of their clothing clearly identifies them as civilians.

ZuZu

I have no problem walking around in the odd patched Buzz jacket. They are clearly flight jackets from yesteryear. I like flight jackets, I like what they represent, and no one will ever assume me to be a pilot when wearing a patched Buzz.
When wearing one of my CWU's (which is quite often) to an Air Force Base I never put on a patch, unless it happens to be some sort of commemorative patch. I would feel uneasy walking around with a Fighting Falcon patch on an Air Base, even though it might just be meant as an expression that I do like the F-16.
If other people do patch their CWU's I don't mind, as it is clearly enthusiasm that drives them. The rest of their clothing clearly identifies them as civilians.
Well put!

CBI

every single insignia is earned. one goes through the training to get it, one WORKS for it. qualified to fly a specific type of aircraft to get assigned to a squadron, etc.. all sorts or work went into your gig in the service.

Pa12

I don’t do it myself for the simple reason that I don’t want to punch any holes in a 1500 dollar jacket. But I don’t see any problem with doing it. I would think in the event of running into someone who “earned “it , they would probably take it as a compliment. Like being famous. Just don’t try a hells angels patch. That’s a whole different ballgame ;)

ZuZu

I don’t do it myself for the simple reason that I don’t want to punch any holes in a 1500 dollar jacket. But I don’t see any problem with doing it. I would think in the event of running into someone who “earned “it , they would probably take it as a compliment. Like being famous. Just don’t try a hells angels patch. That’s a whole different ballgame ;)
Exactly

Pa12

As far as the a-2 goes, I’ve seen lots of wartime pictures of them completely bare, not even a name tag. So I’m good. Plus, I don’t like to draw any attention. I’d make a piss poor celebrity. I prefer to skulk around incognito. In and out without noticing ;) bad enough having people ask me if I was in the navy just because I have a couple tattoos. Don’t need them asking me if I was in the airforce as well.

Members online

Latest posts