• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Current Issue USN G-1's Goatskin or Leather?

B-Man2

I just picked up a currently issued USN G-1 with the correct issued label from the Defense Supply Center Philadelphia (DSCP). I may be wrong, but I think the G-1's that are now being made are regular leather and not goatskin. The jacket was made by the "Sheepskin and Leather Coat Company" , and has a label stating the jacket is leather. Does anyone have any additional information about this or is this the new trend?

ghq1

There's a newer G-1 on EBay and the seller says it's cowhide with a goatskin imprint/texture

RCSignals

If it is current issue it is my understanding it should be goatskin. I've seen jackets dated 2004 and they were goatskin.
'Leather' can mean a lot of things, even man made material.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
B-Man2 said:
The jacket was made by the "Sheepskin and Leather Coat Company" ...

If it's an issued jacket, could it be Excelled Sheepskin and Leather Coat Company?

B-Man2

David
You are correct I checked it again and it is Excelled Sheepskin and Leather Company.

A

Anonymous

Mine is a Brill Bros and it is cowhide embossed (press printed) to look like goat.
Where did you get yours from?

B-Man2

I picked it up from a retired naval aviator who was clearing out some closet space. It has the military issued DSCP label underneath the contract label and I researched the manufacturer ""Excelled Sheepskin and Leather". The company had a contract to produce the jacket from 2001 to 2004, so I'm sure that it's an original USN issued jacket.

A

Anonymous

Mine is in NOS deadstock condition. Brand new. (that was the only reason I bothered to buy it)

But when I compare the quality with an original circa 1950s that I recently got, is like comparing day to night.

RCSignals

Looks like goatskin

IMG_3299.jpg

I've seen a couple from the same maker, about the same manufacture date, and they were goatskin as well.

A

Anonymous

ah yes, I didn't see the last pic till now, its not as grainy as it's used to be...

B-Man2

Platon;

Yes, the G-1 that I have is the same maker as the one that is currently on Ebay, Excelled Sheepskin and Leather Company. If it is goatskin, the thickness and graining of the goatskin is thinner and less pronouced than in earlier years. I guess that's why you always have to remember that in the US military most of the time the item was made by the lowest bidder!

A

Anonymous

it's not that
it's the fact that in the recent years the fashion industry imposed leathers for clothing that have less and less grain and tanneries had to comply...