• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CRAZY difference in leather between 2 Eastman 1401Ps

Roughwear

Gary Eastman in his A2 book suggests most Wartime A2s were actually made from chrome tanned leather despite the fact that ELC proclaim the use of veg tanned leather for many of their repro A2s!

A

Anonymous

that's because veg tanned is better quality and Gary (and everybody) need to justify their prices,
also tanning method is not visible with naked eye
(you need to employ other senses)

mezz07

Gary Eastman in his A2 book suggests most Wartime A-2s were actually made from chrome tanned leather despite the fact that ELC proclaim the use of veg tanned leather for many of their repro A-2s!

Very interesting. I have noticed that many of Good Wear's A-2s on their website are chrome tanned but that Eastman uses veg tanning exclusively. Also from my research Aero Leather uses chrome tanned leather for their A-2s. I really question this cheaper process and wonder if I want a higher end repro that is chrome tanned. But if the original contract of a certain jacket was chrome tanned then I of course would demand that any high end repro also be chrome tanned. the same logic goes for the dying and finishing methods. But I suppose the dying and finishing techniques are another matter altogether.

mezz07

All this raises the question: should modern contract A2 repros be constructed using superior methods and materials to their WWII counterparts? For example veg tanning vs. chrome tanning. Aniline dye vs. spray finish. Which is of highest concern, quality or authenticity?

johnwayne

I've a1401 that I've had for probably 8 years or so and never really liked the more 'shiney' finish and I cannot imagine any originals ever started life like that? It's authenticity for me too and I was saying to the guys at Flying Legends last month after having had a good look around the Eastman selection there, that virtually all were looking way too shiney to me, much more even than mine and almost like they were 'laquered'! I'm sure Eastman are just trying to curry favour with the higner end of the general market, particulalry since they sell through American Classics too and there can only be so many of us who are into such authenticity, hence this site, but most guys like 'a nice leather jacket' and is a staple in many wardrobes, maybe he's seen how Ralph Lauren and other fashion houses keep regurgitating such a classic style. I've often wondered too just how many jackets ELC must have turned out since the late 80's when they started in earnest!!

Again I don't wish to be drawn on the Eastman vs GW vs Kelso vs whoever but IMO I do think John Chapman has nailed it - particulalry after seeing Andrew's (Roughwear) original Doniger at FL and comparing with my GW repro!!

cheers
Wayne

mezz07

Just curious , but did you get an explanation for the duff jacket ?

I did. HPA said that it was not a returned jacket and that it arrived in its used condition straight from Eastman. It was a jacket Eastman supposedly used as an airshow jacket, thus its used state.