• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Could not resist any longer...

NW Carver

After seeing Jons fantastic Irvins, I could not resist any longer and have bought his test jacket 2...I am now just waiting on it's arrival and cant wait to get it..:))

I have been doing RAF re-enacting since 1996 and have been looking for a good repro all that time, so that i didn't have to keep wearing my 1938 Warings original...

I have just never been able to find a good repro-they all seem to use the wrong leather compaired to my original, or have the wrong cut, the wrong zips with plastic bottoms, or the arms look too wide etc-this is the first repro that I can honestly say, from the pics that I have seen, matches my original...:)

I will take pictures when it arrives..

Roughwear

Good for you Nigel. The jacket does look close to originals in the photos which Jon has posted here, but I guess comparing it with your original is the true test! Looking forward to some wearing pics!

jonnyboy

Hi Nigel,

Thanks again for taking the plunge!

It should be with you early next week. I sent it recorded delivery, so I can track it if there are any delays. I hope you like the jacket, and that it's a good alternative to wearing your original. I'm really pleased with it (like I said, if it fitted me better I'd probably have kept this one!).

Cheers,

Jon

NW Carver

Cheers guys and thanks Jon-I am looking forward to getting it-and have my first show with it lined up for next weekend-Chartwell in Kent, salute to the RAF...it's with the real RAF (one of my friends is a Squadron Leader). They have the central band of the RAF playing music while various aircraft fly over head...I did it last year and it was great!

NW Carver

Hi All

I got the jacket late last night (by time I had got home from work) - and all I can say is amazing!! Its the best repro I have ever seen - compared it to my original and it was spot on with regards to the leather, cut of the jacket, zips etc!

Really stunning work for Jons second jacket! :D

My girlfriend was really impressed - and trust me she hates flying jackets - even she was moved to say that is one fantastic jacket! She nicked it of me and was trying it on...never had that before and had to fight her to get it back! lolololol

Okay, serious stuff...in comparison to my 1937 original (I thinks its a Warrings but as the label is missing I am not too sure) 44-46 inch chest (way too big):

Its a little bit lighter but not by much - makes it easier to wear in my opinion
The leather is identical - and I really mean this - in look, feel and texture to my original. So much so that this looks just like a newer cleaner version out of the stores! :) I kid you not, gentleman, this leather has to be seen to be believed.
The fur is the correct type and a wonderful honey brown/light chocolate colour and quite dense.
The jacket feels like a wartime original.

The only things that I could find different were - the collar is bigger than my original, the belt loop on the right hand side (when wearing) is not as close to the seam and the main zip is missing the art deco holder at the bottom which mine has BUT then I think this was copied from a 'Links' so there will be manufaturer differences - in fact, this jacket is actually better than my original to my mind in look, feel and cut!!!

Sizing - the jacket fits perfectly on the chest, and the arms - I can do it up and it fits - over a t-shirt or a shirt. But, it feels a little tight when done up around the low chest/waist - and this is because of the windflap that goes under - its the thickness of the fur! Measurement wise this should fit perfectly as its actually over my ususal measurements..

I did actually try it on with my RAF jacket and shirt on underneath - not expecting it to fit - but I was able to get them on and do the jacket up - although I looked like a stuffed Michelin man!! I suppose another inch would make the jacket just perfect for this kind of wear but then a little too big for normal wear...with a t-shirt or shirt on own. I am hoping that the leather will stretch a bit, as i really do not want to ge rid of this jacket! :D

I will post some pictures later taken last night..

Overall - very very impressed and I love the jacket - its exactley what I was after and beats the others for cut, leather and overall workmanship!!! I don't want to let this jacket go...

The only thing I am a little worried on, is the fit - being perfect on arms and upper chest but a little tight in the middle (maybe I should leave off the chocolate for a while!)...

Trust me - this jacket is fantastic!

NW Carver

Pictures - what do you all think? A little tight?

This jacket is superb!!!

photoIrvin1.jpg

Irvin3.jpg

photoIrvin2.jpg

Roughwear

What a great jacket, Nigel! It could easily be mistaken for a newly issued original. It would be nice to see some comparative pictures of this repro and your original Wareings jacket taken in natural light. The fit is snug at the chest, but the sheepskin should give a little through use. If you are going to Duxford at the weekend please bring the jacket so I can see it in the flesh. I will be there on the sunday and several of us our meeting outside the ELC shop at 11.30. It would be nice to see you again. :)

NW Carver

Hi Andrew

Great to hear from you! Yes, the jacket is superb - I am sorry about the pictures, they were taken in poor light with my iphone - not the best combination! :(

I would love to meet up at Duxford but I am at Chartwell in Kent this weekend - I am doing a show with the Central Band of the RAF - basically music with vintage and modern aircraft flying. My group are portaying the RAF from fighter command to DAF and on to modern RAF, so we are there for 2 days running (evenings really, as the concerts start at 18:15).

There are still tickets for the Sat evening and the Sun evening going if anyone fancies going on the day - link below:

http://www.synergyeventsuk.com/tickets

Last years on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfBaSqoFPlM

As I say, I love the jacket - I am just a little worried about the tightness - although I managed to get it over both my RAF shirt and shirt and do it up - so it shows how much give is actually there! When you measure it armpit to armpit, it is actually a modern 42... :D

NW Carver

Cheers Andrew - have fun at Duxford! :) :D

Yep, its the only time that I wished it was colder...lololololol

With regards to the tightness, do you think it would give 1/2 an inch? If it did, then this would fit well...I usually wear my fashion jackets tight (All Saints stuff)..:)

NW Carver

Thanks Andrew, so it may stretch by 1/2 an inch - thats good to know! :D

No, I wasn't planning on using any water treatment - the jacket is far too good for that and I would be so worried about ruining it...

flyboy

Congratulations with your jacket, Nigel. It looks right to me! And I am sure it will fit you perfectly after some use.

NW Carver

Thanks Soren! :)) This is one amazing jacket, and I am actually looking forward to colder weather so I can wear it properly, I.e. not as a re-enactor! :))

I might try it in my car with the roof down-I have a Audi TT roadster and be interesting to see if I can wear it while driving!:)

dujardin

great looking jacket
enjoyyyyyyyyy

just my tought, on size too short for the body
how do you say that .... not roomy enough

jonnyboy

Hi Nigel,

Really glad that the jacket arrived safely, and that you're happy with it.

For me, making these jackets has become a labour of love, so it's good to hear positive feedback from the first sale and know that my obsession for getting the details right has paid off!

Good to know that it compares well to your original Irvin. There seems to be a lot of variation with original jackets, even by the same maker, but I've aimed to produce a 'typical' Irvin which reflects the features which are found on originals. The jacket I used to make the pattern looks like a Wareing's, but does have features which aren't typical of Wareing's jackets. I think some of the larger producers outsourced many jackets to smaller companies, so lots of little differences are found. Further down the line, I'd like to reproduce other 'maker' jackets, as well as the hooded Coastal Command version.

Regarding the fit, it should give a little after being worn for a while. That's happened with test jacket #1, which has been worn a fair amount over the last few months. The sheepskin also flattens down after being worn a few times, making it less bulky.

I would love to get the art deco stopper box reproduced on the main zip. I was quoted £20K to have exact copies of Lightning zips made, so I think that will have to wait a while! I'm still on the look out for a cheaper quote though, so the plan is still to have exact repro Lightning zips at some stage in the future.

Anyway, glad you like the jacket, and good to know that it's gone to a good home. Looking forward to seeing photos of it worn with the RAF kit (and next to the Spit!).

All the best,

Jon

NW Carver

Hi Jon

Mate, I love the jacket! Get it right...)

Understood about the zips - thought that might be the case - my mate was trying to get some repo 1936 patt flying boots made to the exact same pattern and the companies he went to were struggling to do it, do to the tooling up they would have to do - they can't do the old fashioned manufacturing methods anymore and it would have cost and arm and a leg!

I wore the jacket this weekend at the our Chartwell show with the real RAF - we were wearing KDs (baggy shorts etc) as we were supposed to be representing DAF - in contrast to the modern RAF kit for the middle east - they even gave us a plastic Spitfire to stand against (yuch!).

In the DAF they used to wear the Irvins in the desert to keep warm as night fell...so there are 3 of us - 1 with an original on, 1 with a What Price Glory one, and me with the one that you made over my KD tunic and shorts! Between mine and the original, not much difference - mine just looked like a newer version - compared to the WPG version, yours beats it into a cocked hat!! I know that the WPG version is indeed cheaper but it felt and looked cheap in my opinion...

Some of my chaps were taking pictures, so as soon as I get them, I will post on the forum!

Kind regards

flyboy

I can only add this, I have had the pleasure of holding and trying Jon's Jacket #3 and it was very, very close to a original I once held and tried.
I am not an expert - just telling how I experienced it. Same quality of fleece and skin. Same weight and same "easy softness" when you wore it.
Not at all as heavy or bulky as my Aero and many other replicas I have seen and tried on. Jon is doing a great job in recreating these almost original Irvins.

NW Carver

Hi All

Here are some quick shots of me wearing Jons Irvin with my mates Spitfire - in some of the shots the jacket looks a little tight at the front but that's because its over a shirt, scarf and my RAF tunic!! The jacket has now loosend nicely and has got a slightly roomier fit - this jacket is just awsome!

My next trick, is to get my mate to fly the Spitfire you see me with, wearing my Irvin jacket...:))

Picture280.jpg

Picture281.jpg

Picture282.jpg

Picture283.jpg