• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cooper. 1983???

124Sport

Totally new to this realm. Bought this beautiful like new cooper at an antique mall for $80. Spent $40 getting the lower corner of one of the the pocket repaired (almost looked like a manufacturing defect where maybe the needle went haywire through the leather, because this thing has NOT been worn). Anyhow....just curious about it. I don’t suspect it is very old and I intend to wear it cause I love it and it fits me perfect! I might even paint my nose art logo on the back. Probably not though.
Anyhow....it’s Lambskin leather apparently. Written on the label is HHL 7-83 (not sure if that’s a dash or merry a 7 with a line through it like a European seven). Not sure if that is from the factory or someone who owned it? Thanks.
7B7250A3-6B66-4034-997F-B894BD4D34F6.jpeg
C7C9767F-0932-4FF0-B3F6-CDD4AB3A1304.jpeg
E026CC6A-FE8A-4642-A638-4B3C998DE99D.jpeg
CF9F2F0B-9271-4B65-B793-C0538E742D09.jpeg
11E27067-B81B-4005-93CE-E2B44A12976D.jpeg
A2050587-8636-4247-8FB2-5218D7D5AAF4.jpeg

Last edited:

B-Man2

Hi 124 !
Welcome to VLJ !
Great first post and a nice looking Cooper .it’s not actually a military issued flight jacket but a commercial repo of what looks to be an AN-J-3 jacket . The buttoned pockets are a clue to its type of jacket . If you could post some puctures of the entire front and back of the jacket that would be helpful in telling you more about it . And please use the full image choice when posting your photos as it’s just easier to see.

124Sport

Hi 124 !
Welcome to VLJ !
Great first post and a nice looking Cooper .it’s not actually a military issued flight jacket but a commercial repo of what looks to be an AN-J-3 jacket . The buttoned pockets are a clue to its type of jacket . If you could post some puctures of the entire front and back of the jacket that would be helpful in telling you more about it . And please use the full image choice when posting your photos as it’s just easier to see.
Ok thanks. Just added full front and back pix.

B-Man2

Ok now I can see your jacket clearly . It’s really a modern day interpretation of a repro of an AN-J-3. It has huge arm gussets under the arms . It’s a good wearable jacket but I don’t think it’s lamb skin . Probably either goat skin or leather made to look like goatskin. At any rate it’s well worth the $120.00 you have invested in it . Enjoy it and wear the piss out of it . It will age nicely and just keep looking better with age .
Cheers