• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Contract date versus production date AN-6552

Curahee

Does anyone know when exactly the AN-6552 was produced ?. From what I can tell the design date was late 1943 but the production started in the second half of 1944 and ended in 1945 (according to Full Gear) while others say only in the fiscal year of 1943 the AN-6552 was made.

The production numbers can tell a lot, but there's very little info out there about these numbers.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Curahee said:
From what I can tell the design date was late 1943 but the production started in the second half of 1944 and ended in 1945 (according to Full Gear) ...

Full Gear lists the contracts as starting in fiscal year 1944 ... this could be any time after July Ist 1943.

dadgad

Basically the AN-6552 and the AN-J-3A are the same jacket despite what was stated on the labels,
Just like the AN-J-4 is also the AN-6553.

According to R. Moore and J. Chapman the AN-6552 contracts were issued for just six months in 1943 but the number of jackets made
were more than the AN-J-3A contract which lasted longer.

From R. Moore site:
The AN-6552 jackets were originally designed to be a joint service (Navy, Marine Corps, Army Air Corps) jacket to replace the Navy/USMC M-422A and AAC A-2. These jackets were made for only a six month period in 1943 by American Sportswear, Bogen & Tanenbaum, Monarch, Willis and Geiger, and H&L Block. While H&L Block made a good number of M-422A jackets, it is thought that they made very few AN-6552 jackets making them among the rarest of an already scarce group.

AN-6552 jackets exhibit several unique characteristics which are worth describing. First, as a joint service jacket a "USN" stencil used on M-422A and later G-1 jackets is replaced with a "US" stencil. Second, the AN-6522 series used a black painted main zipper, however, the other manufacturers typically used a nickel zip while Block chose a brass Talon (B&T used a brass Conmar). The subsequent AN-J-3a jackets look identical to the AN-6552; the only sure way to tell the difference is by the label in the neck.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
dadgad said:
According to J. Chapman the AN-6552 contracts were issued for just six months in 1943 but the number of jackets made were more than the AN-J-3A contract which lasted longer.

I've read that too, but then the contract numbers would be out of sequence. Full Gear lists contracts for both specs throughout the three year period.

dadgad

deeb7 said:
dadgad said:
According to J. Chapman the AN-6552 contracts were issued for just six months in 1943 but the number of jackets made were more than the AN-J-3A contract which lasted longer.

I've read that too, but then the contract numbers would be out of sequence. Full Gear lists contracts for both specs throughout the three year period.

Full Gear reliability is fully proved so that could easily be the closest thing to the truth that we have.

Curahee

So, one year of production instead of 6 months and from fiscal year 1944 (july 1st 1943) to fiscal year 1945 (july 1st 1944 or just a little later) i.e. second half of 1944 to second half of 1945.

I was doing some research on my GW Bogen & Tennenbaum AN-6552 'cause the weather is getting colder overhere and I have been wearing this excellent jacket since last week, I was wondering about the production dates since there are several opinions about it

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Curahee said:
So, one year of production instead of 6 months and from fiscal year 1944 (july 1st 1943) to fiscal year 1945 (july 1st 1944 or just a little later) i.e. second half of 1944 to second half of 1945.

So maybe as long as two years. ;)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
arclight said:
My mistake..........during WWII the fiscal year was from 1 July to 30 June.

You got it, the dates were changed in 1976 ... they were probably finding the mid-year date confusing. :)

Curahee

Thanks for the input guys, but why all the changes in names and so little in design ?wasn't there also a "moutonless" AN-J-3A out there too ?
and would it be correct that the G in G-1 stands for Generic number one ???

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Curahee said:
wasn't there also a "moutonless" AN-J-3A out there too ?

That would be the AN-J3, that was to replace the A-2, before being overtaken by the B-10 (see page 126).

So it was never issued, or if it was, the labels were designed to self destruct.

Curahee

Yeah you're right :oops: .....never looked any further than page 125. Shame there isn't an English version (or German, French for that matter)

Roughwear

Curahee said:
Yeah you're right :oops: .....never looked any further than page 125. Shame there isn't an English version (or German, French for that matter)

Translating the book would be a nice project for someone and they could post the transcript in English on the VLJ site. :)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Roughwear said:
Translating the book would be a nice project for someone and they could post the transcript in English on the VLJ site. :)

Providing the author gave his permission. ;)

Grant

ANJ3's were produced in limited numbers. I sold one to Gary Eastman a few years back.
I never really liked the leather collar that much and prefer the ANJ3a.

ghq1

Does anyone know if the ANJ-3 3a was ever issued (or spec'ed out) in horsehide . . .? Or were they all in goatskin given the later war shortage of horse?

Has anyone commissioned an ANJ-3 jacket in horse? ANd if so a photo or link would be very nice.

Thanks much

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
ghq1 said:
Does anyone know if the ANJ-3 3a was ever issued (or spec'ed out) in horsehide . . .?

Full Gear notes that the post war Willis and Geiger AN-J-3A contract was horsehide. The Few makes a house AN-J-3A in horse, and it's a good seller for them.

also member bristolherc has his G-1's made in horse, here's a 55J14 ...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5427&p=51407