• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conmatic zipper

bjoy

I was researching Conmar Conmatic zippers trying to determine if they were actually available in WWII or not. (I recently purchased a NOS separating zipper with a bell-shaped puller on a green tape described as being "military surplus".)

I found many references to 40's clothing with a Conmatic zipper on the Internet. There is even a Buzz Rickson "U. S. Army Coat Parachute Jumper 1942" with "original WWII NOS" zipper which is described having a "1942 Conmar Conmatic frontal zipper in nickel plate".

I found two references that said this zipper was actually introduced in 1954 as a new design that helps preventing jamming.

Has anybody encountered the Conmatic zipper on any WWII jacket?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
I am hoping that Aota Mituhiro, the author of Full Gear, will soon publish his book on zippers ... then we'll have all the answers.

Both of my Buzz B-10's have the Conmatic, which is only evidence that they have a stock of them.

Red Cloud list them in the 1950 - 1960 era ...

http://www.redcloud.co.jp/detail/zipper.htm

watchmanjimg

I realize my comments are hardly definitive, but I'm pretty sure that L-2B jackets of the 7448C spec used zippers marked "Conmar" while the D and possibly E models have the "Conmatic" type. By 1963-4 I believe they go back to the typical Conmars. The explanation for this may or may not help to date the Conmatic.

Hawkeye

So there actually was an original "conmatic" branded zipper? My old Buzz B-10 had one, but I thought it was a Buzz house brand that was used instead of Conmar, because of what I assumed to be copyright issues with the Conmar name.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
bjoy said:
David, thanks for the additional information.

You're welcome .... so 1954 seems to be the year of introduction. Buzz are often incorrect with their dating, but they make a fine jacket.