• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conbat Crew Patch

dmar836

This has been a controversial patch. I've had one for a long time and was long ago told it was a fake. Every one I have seen looks the same as mine. I have yet to see a photo of one being period-worn but sure would like to. Other beliefs are that it was a post war deal. I myself have wondered if it was a fantasy patch. Any ideas?

WW2USArmyAirForceCombatCrewVintagePatch04-14-2009_1296881347339.jpg

Dave

dmar836

Re: Combat Crew Patch

Found this in the 12/2010 issue of Association of Air Force Missileers

It first refers to the blue wing background seen on many tunics during the war in the ETO.

After the war ended, so did the practice of wearing
the blue patch. Not to be outdone, when the USSTAF was
reformed on 7 August 1945 as the US Air Forces in Europe
(USAFE), they issued a triangular patch with a blue border,
three stripes of red, white, and yellow in a V shape on either
side, with a white propeller and Combat Crew embroidered
in White towards the top. As with all patches, there are variations
with the white being replaced by silver. The patch
was prominently seen in the catalog of Patch King/Hobby
Guild in the late 1940s.

DiamondDave

AHA! Very cool to know. SO this was done to keep the "new in theater" guys, from claiming combat status?

One to add to the database (in my head)

DD

dmar836

Well, the blue background was. Wonder how many ground crewman or office types had aircrew wings in their footlockers? I bet their grandkids heard "I was an ace" story. That blue field thing appears to have been done only in the ETO - specifically the 8th AAF.
This patch was apparently transitional. I just have never seen one being worn.
One might look cool on a late pattern B-15 IMO.

Dave

unclegrumpy

Re: Combat Crew Patch

The patch you have pictured is the Patch King/Hobby Guild version. They sold patches that were made for collectors, overstocks, surplus and a few fantasies. With some of their patches, it is hard to determined where they fall. This patch is one I think was made to be worn. However, because it was so short lived, I think what we see are overstocks that were left over and sold to collectors in their catalogs.

dmar836

Thanks. That sounds about right. Apparently the whole designation was DC's in about '48-49 as the AAF came in and started limiting insignia. I guess there wasn't too much air combat in that time period.
Dave