• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

COMPARING AN ELC RW 1401-P WITH AN ORIGINAL

Roughwear

There has been some debate on this site about the accuracy of ELC's RW repros compared with originals. The ELC jacket is pretty close to originals, especially now that they use Crown zips. There are suptle differences, notably their use of olive thread, and the lack of indentation in the pocket nipple snaps for example. The colour of the hh is very close indeed. Here are some comparative pictures of a size 42 repro and a size 44 original so you can make up your own mind!

009-42.jpg

010-41.jpg
001-29.jpg

017-29.jpg
008-39.jpg

013-41.jpg
003-38.jpg

011-35.jpg
002-35.jpg

012-41.jpg
004-29.jpg

015-38.jpg
007-35.jpg

016-31.jpg
005-33.jpg

014-33.jpg
006-36.jpg

Chandler

Great comparison.

I believe the defense of the olive thread is that it fades over time to a lighter color seen on originals. Odd that the thread on your original looks almost black. Some odd miss-stitching under the collar too.

I can see the fade on the thread on my own ELC 1401 when I compare the thread on the pocket flap to that under the pocket flap.

Chandler

Damien

thanks for this comparison. Eastman did a great job with the 1401. And what about the original's size and the eastman's size?

Chandler

Damien said:
And what about the original's size and the eastman's size?

The tags are pictured: Orig 44, ELC 42, but I'd like to see comparative measurements myself. In RW's post at the Vintage forum he mentions that the repro 44 fits similarly to the original 42. In the ELC 1401, I'd tend to believe that -- my own experience, when I tried an ELC 44 (my usual size) it fit rather snug.

Every time I see another original 1401, I become more pleased with my ELC -- even though its 10+ year finish isn't the standard anymore, ELC's repros prove very authentic.

Just an added re-link to my own ELC 1401: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=764

Chandler