• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coin on flight jacket

bazelot

Do any of you guys know what nationality and year this coin is? What does it say?

Picture009a.jpg

Picture008a.jpg

Picture007a.jpg

Picture012a.jpg

Thanks,
Tom

Roughwear

They would appear to be a Chinese good luck charm. I have a 1964 Star Sportswear G-1 with similar coins attached to the zipper.

Roughwear

My mistake! Yes Google also says its a 5 Yen coin, which is the luckiest coin of them all. So I can see why they were used on G-1 jackets.

a2jacketpatches

My wife just scribbled a bunch of Chinese on paper, said " It not even hundred year ago " then called me stupid and walked away. All based on the year 1999. HUH? I said wait, less than a hundred? She said " of course " then called me stupid again.

Persimmon

a2jacketpatches said:
My wife just scribbled a bunch of Chinese on paper, said " It not even hundred year ago " then called me stupid and walked away. All based on the year 1999. HUH? I said wait, less than a hundred? She said " of course " then called me stupid again.

She and you both can call me stupid but I don't understand what you (she) means
Help !!

unclegrumpy

Persimmon said:
a2jacketpatches said:

Help !!
Are you requesting he volunteer for a suicide mission? :shock:

a2jacketpatches

Persimmon said:
a2jacketpatches said:

Help !!

My point exactly. I guess she was able to eliminate down to the last half century or so because of certain character not present.

joeson

a2jacketpatches said:
Persimmon said:
a2jacketpatches said:

Help !!

My point exactly. I guess she was able to eliminate down to the last half century or so because of certain character not present.
According to my wife,the dating system requires a certain amount of subtraction.Far from straight forward.

a2jacketpatches

Yes, my wife is Thai and studied Chinese for 6 years. She can't pinpoint but knows roughly. She writes a good chit in Chinese, and the last characters (all the way to the left) stand for 34th year of the republic, aka 1945

colekwok

昭和 period is between 1926-12-25-1989-1-7.

So, if you work out the date, Shōwa period 1926 + 24, is roughly between 1950-51.

asiamiles

colekwok said:
昭和 period is between 1926-12-25-1989-1-7.

So, if you work out the date, Shōwa period 1926 + 24, is roughly between 1950-51.
Don't really understand that at all. The coin is dated 24. You just add 25 to that which dates it as 1949, or you can probably find date table online.

JOHNO

I ran across a 72 E series Star Sportswear G1 yesterday with two 5 yen Japanese coins on the zipper pull, I'll post a pic later.