• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cockpit USA MA-1 for only $80 now?

jwamznalx

Hey guys,

I just found that cockpit has their MA-1 Nylon jacket for only $80. It's kind of good deal. But I never wear their nylon jacket. I only have a cockpit B-3 Pearl Harbor.

Does anyone know about their MA-1 jacket? Is it as good as Alpha MA-1 field jacket? Is it warm enough in the winter or is it just a thin one only for early fall?

Thanks!

FreddyF9

Hello and welcome!
I never owned a MA-1 from Cockpit USA but I’ve owned their B-15 few years ago (my first post here was about it).
It was a nice jacket, not very accurate to the original but, at that time, it was ok.
Last year I bought a B-15C from Bronson and it was in every was better than the Cockpit. Better nylon, better lining, better collar at almost half the price!
IMHO, the only reason to buy one of their jackets, is if you want to buy a garment made in the USA. If you pay attention, Cockpit’s website mentions that the jacket is imported, that probably means that you’re not getting a USA made product.
I know that it costs more but, I would like to suggest you this Bronson MA-1:
As I said, they make an overall better replica, with better materials and more true to the original than Cockpit.
Whatever you decide, I hope you’ll enjoy this forum!

ludospeed

Hey guys,

I just found that cockpit has their MA-1 Nylon jacket for only $80. It's kind of good deal. But I never wear their nylon jacket. I only have a cockpit B-3 Pearl Harbor.

Does anyone know about their MA-1 jacket? Is it as good as Alpha MA-1 field jacket? Is it warm enough in the winter or is it just a thin one only for early fall?

Thanks!
China made.

Spitfireace

Or buy an original. You could probably get one of the later MA-1s for the same price.
Yup, eighties or around 1990 end of their run. When you look at older ones for collectability 50's 60's even 70's then you have condition problems. If you aren't really fussy about having an original like I am, Bronson looks really good.

mulceber

Yup, eighties or around 1990 end of their run. When you look at older ones for collectability 50's 60's even 70's then you have condition problems. If you aren't really fussy about having an original like I am, Bronson looks really good.
Yeah, I'm kinda the same way - I've only briefly looked at getting an MA-1, and I know the orange liner was practical for the pilots, but I personally hate the look. Although I suppose it would be useful if I were taking a walk during hunting season.

Last edited:

jwamznalx

Hello and welcome!
I never owned a MA-1 from Cockpit USA but I’ve owned their B-15 few years ago (my first post here was about it).
It was a nice jacket, not very accurate to the original but, at that time, it was ok.
Last year I bought a B-15C from Bronson and it was in every was better than the Cockpit. Better nylon, better lining, better collar at almost half the price!
IMHO, the only reason to buy one of their jackets, is if you want to buy a garment made in the USA. If you pay attention, Cockpit’s website mentions that the jacket is imported, that probably means that you’re not getting a USA made product.
I know that it costs more but, I would like to suggest you this Bronson MA-1:
As I said, they make an overall better replica, with better materials and more true to the original than Cockpit.
Whatever you decide, I hope you’ll enjoy this forum!
thanks. looks like Bronson got better reputation here on nylon products.

What about Alpha? I mean I have several Alpha Industry nylon MA-1, the modern commercial version not repro. But in terms of the cloth itself, they are good. Just curious Bronson MA-1 and Alpha MA-1, which one is better? Thanks!

mulceber

thanks. looks like Bronson got better reputation here on nylon products.

What about Alpha? I mean I have several Alpha Industry nylon MA-1, the modern commercial version not repro. But in terms of the cloth itself, they are good. Just curious Bronson MA-1 and Alpha MA-1, which one is better? Thanks!

coolhandluke

Hey guys,

Thanks!

Depending on your chest size and location, I may have a new Bronson MA-1 in the listing below that might fit your needs.

Spitfireace

I have a 13 year old Alpha CWU-45/P that I like as a beater jacket. I can't vouch for new ones.
Yeah, I'm kinda the same way - I've only briefly looked at getting an MA-1, and I know the orange liner was practical for the pilots, but I personally hate the look. Although I suppose it would be useful if I wee taking a walk during hunting season.
I don't really like MA-1's and especially orange linings. So either get pre-orange lining 1961, or post orange lining, someone said 1970, not sure if that was the end of the orange lining. I just bought the 61 Skyline because it's the epitome of MA-1 orange lining jackets. Mainly it's a classic, and it's the same year I was born. So it's maybe not reason enough to get into the MA-1 realm. I can't help myself sometimes, as far as trying to rescue some old jacket.

Spitfireace

eBay is my go-to. I searched for them about an hour ago and there were a lot of options.
Finding eBay a little excessive in their shipping fees I think. I just used Etsy, but maybe it's not much better. I mean if the shipping fee is more than the item is worth. Come on. Or easily fifty dollars to ship a zipper from the UK.

Spitfireace

I would go Bronson. If you don't mind the asian reproduction. It's half of most price, and quality. I have two of them and I like them. I'm a real stickler for detail. So I think they are mainly good except for the zippers. The rest is quality.

Spitfireace

I mean they are quality. I have a few Buzz Ricksons I think the real difference is Bronsons has not the quality zipper.