• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cockpit USA A2 21st century jacket - good quality?

yar

Hi, i found this offer: http://www.adventuresurvivalequipment.c ... ckpit.html It looks like its the original modern army A2 jacket made by Cockpit USA. Im a collegian, that means i have a fairly limited budget for a jacket. First i wanted to buy a fine A2 from aeroleatherclothing (since i heard only good things about them), but 400 pounds + 30 delivery are a bit too expensive for me when i think about it :roll:

I like the additions like the inside pockets and side pockets etc, im not looking for a 100% authentical WWII repro. The price is very attractive too. I live in Germany, this jacket costs 400 Euro here and thats 550 US Dollar (by original-fliegerjacken.de) and its still cheaper for me to order it from USA through a delivery service (would be 205 Euro + max 100 for shipping and the toll). Is this really the original army A2 with a good quality or are there better offers on the market?

Also im not very sure which size i should choose, im rather a tall and slim person (183cm/72"), 96cm/38" around the chest, the sleeves of my previous jacket were 61cm/24" and they fit very well. I want a tight fit, but i should be able to wear a sweater underneath it, so im not sure if i should choose 36 or 38 size. I hope you can help me.
regards, Yar

PS Sorry for my english, its not my mothertongue :oops:

Tim P

Meine meinung ist zu teuer. Vielleicht brauchen sie eine original USAF Z1 Jacke aus ebay u.s.w

CBI

keep your eyes on eBay as you can find some great deals on Cooper or Gibson and Barnes jackets that look nicer. I was much more impressed with a Cooper in hand than I ever thought I would be - its my budget jacket recommendation - again, get a used one on eBay.

yar

Thank you for your suggestions!
I did a quick search on a few ebay sites (.com, .co.uk, .de) and i have to say that there is not much going on, especially on the german ebay site (although there are tons of cheaper "original" flight jackets made by "noble house" of questionable quality and source). I have to say that i dont consider buying a used jacket, i would always go for a new if its not a vintage one (most of the used are too big for me anyway). Maybe someone had already an avirex/cockpit jacket and can tell more about it.

And yeah, Atkins, this jacket looks like its made for a very big and strong person indeed :D

Tim P

I think that you will get the same quality of jacket new, not second hand.
when anything bears the cockpit label the makers talk a lot of big talk about the unrivalled authenticity and quality of their jackets which whilst they are well made I am sure, are no better than anyone elses.
the authenticity talk makes their jackets sell well amongst people who like you want to believe they are buying quality but who unlike you dont check!!!!
well done for asking here.
cockpit jackets are well made and should serve you well but you will pay more than if you bought the same article under a different name.
better yet, get a new government one.

yar

Tim P said:
I think that you will get the same quality of jacket new, not second hand.
when anything bears the cockpit label the makers talk a lot of big talk about the unrivalled authenticity and quality of their jackets which whilst they are well made I am sure, are no better than anyone elses.
the authenticity talk makes their jackets sell well amongst people who like you want to believe they are buying quality but who unlike you dont check!!!!
well done for asking here.
cockpit jackets are well made and should serve you well but you will pay more than if you bought the same article under a different name.
better yet, get a new government one.

Well, i always try to check first before i buy something, but i know too that many people especially on the forums tend to hype one thing over another. What different name do you mean exactly? Most jackets i have seen before were more expensive, aeroleather, gibson and barnes etc etc. All i found on the german space was one cheap "original" A2 for 130 EU :roll:, and then the "noble house" ones

Where can i find the government jacket? Sorry for bombarding you with questions, but there are so many jackets and so little money and it has to be the right one of course :lol:

442RCT

yar said:
I have to say that i dont consider buying a used jacket, i would always go for a new if its not a vintage one (most of the used are too big for me anyway). Maybe someone had already an avirex/cockpit jacket and can tell more about it.

I own 50+ leather reproduction flight jackets. I own a 6-8 Avirex-Cockpit jackets. One is horsehide, a couple in mystery leather, probably steerhide, one goatskin, and the rest are lambskin.
100_0010a.jpg

My hands down favorite jackets are the used, broken in jackets...I wouldn't dismiss acquiring a used jacket.

As for direct experience in re: Avirex jackets, I posted in a thread about 'Orphan' jackets:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthre ... ght=orphan

yar

Thanks chief ;) I decided to go for the modern A2 model with no historical correctness and with many inside pockets :lol:. I should contact cockpit about the exact sizes of the jackets though, exchange would be problematic for me in Germany. Im quite sure it would be the size 38 for me, but i heard that US jackets are always one size bigger, is that true?

alangloi

yar said:
Thanks chief ;) I decided to go for the modern A2 model with no historical correctness and with many inside pockets :lol:. I should contact cockpit about the exact sizes of the jackets though, exchange would be problematic for me in Germany. Im quite sure it would be the size 38 for me, but i heard that US jackets are always one size bigger, is that true?

I purchased a Cockpit A2 21st century jacket, in goat, last year. I wear a size 48, and ordered that size in Long as I am 72 inches tall also. (That is one nice thing about Cockpit jackets, you can get them to your size and length.) It fits nicely and was finished well. No "range" marks on the leather of my jacket. Their 21st century jackets are sized correct. Some of their other A-2's jackets are sized more of a military fit. If I travel to colder climates I will be wearing some warm clothing under the A-2, like a sweater or wool shirt. I'm in northern Florida, and tomorrow they expect 48 degrees at daybreak. Perfect jacket weather. :D

deand

442RCT said:
yar said:
I have to say that i dont consider buying a used jacket, i would always go for a new if its not a vintage one (most of the used are too big for me anyway). Maybe someone had already an avirex/cockpit jacket and can tell more about it.

I own 50+ leather reproduction flight jackets. I own a 6-8 Avirex-Cockpit jackets. One is horsehide, a couple in mystery leather, probably steerhide, one goatskin, and the rest are lambskin.
100_0010a.jpg

My hands down favorite jackets are the used, broken in jackets...I wouldn't dismiss acquiring a used jacket.

As for direct experience in re: Avirex jackets, I posted in a thread about 'Orphan' jackets:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthre ... ght=orphan

That is a beautiful sight! The pole is indeed a strong one!

dean